Since I'll be helping our faculty & staff upgrade to the new mail system,
I'm looking for your thoughts on a few issues:
 * clients
 * protocols
 * other (vacation messages)

Clients: I see the Lab has documented Eudora, Netscape and Outlook/Outlook
Express. Anyone recommending other clients? I have one person here using
Mozilla, guess that is just a variant of Netscape. Most people here are
using Outlook 2000. I've thought about suggesting people switch to Eudora,
mostly to get away from all the security problems with Outlook.

Protocols: I switched to IMAP when it became available. It seems to be the
best solution for using email on multiple computers. Most people here are
probably using POP, for historical reasons. I've switched a few to IMAP. (I
was surprised to see that the old Pilot documentation for Eudora & Outlook
never mentioned IMAP - is there a reason for that?) It seems like there used
to be problems with the POP options of "leave mail on server for X days" &
"delete messages on server when deleted on client", but lately I've
configured some people using that and it works OK now.

And finally, vacation mail messages: years ago when these first became
popular on Windows clients they caused lots of mail loops.  That seems to be
better now. Do you recommend/teach your faculty how to do these?  Frequently
when people find out they have to leave their computer running to send them
out, they decide it isn't worth it.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
 -jav
John Valenti SLIR
(an old dog, maybe learning new tricks?)