From: Steve Devine [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 11:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Wins and samba hostname discovery

All:
We manage the public afs rotary (afs.msu.edu).
This rotary is comprised of 12 separate unix servers running samba as well
as other services. When we need to patch a server we ask Hostmaster to
remove it from the dns rotary. This doesn't seem to accomplish much however
because even with these machines out of the rotary the isolated server still
gets multiple requests for samba service. We recently had three out for
several days and the minute we put them back on line they were serving samba
requests even though they still were out of the rotary.

So here are my questions:
Are there multiple wins servers on campus and how do they refresh
themselves? When we remove machines from the afs.msu.edu rotary should I
post to this list? Can /do  these wins servers use dns for hostname
discovery?

On a separate issue can someone tell me if port 445 needs to be used for
day-to-day SMB filesharing? We would just as soon firewall that off.

Thanks ..

--
Steve Devine
Core Systems