Good Morning,

I know that a number of departments host their websites thru MSU Computer Laboratory, while others have chosen to run their own webservers.  I'm considering creating a webserver, so I have a few questions for those of you who host your own:

1) What specific hardware/software platform did you chose for your webserver?  I don't need explicit technical details, but I am most interested in what OS and webserver software you use.
2) Do you have any in-house staff, full or part time, who are dedicated to maintaining the webserver?
3) What was your primary reason to do-it-yourself?  Cost?  Ease of maintenance? A desire to create more work for your network administrators?  (grin)

Any information you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.  Please feel free to respond outside the list address by emailing me directly at [log in to unmask]

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
MSU - Detroit College of Law
208 Law College Building