Just to chime in:  I bought a copy of BlackIce about 18 months back (version 2.1), I thought it was terrible and uninstalled it. Too many false alarms, difficult to understand, etc.

I thought there was a free version of Zone Alarm that I looked at afterwards. That seemed better, but would have required lots of time to train. If I remember correctly, Black Ice didn't watch outgoing traffic, but Zone Alarm did. That seems more interesting to me, since I already know we are being portscanned almost hourly.

I was actually somewhat miffed that the Store was pushing Black Ice so hard. (the clerk even had on one of their T-shirts today) I've meant to ask Joe Budzyn what he thought of it, maybe it is much better now.

(But then I get a kick out watching the reaction when I tell people we don't have a firewall.  We've been on the Internet about 15 years and I would have a hard time giving examples of when a firewall would have been a big help)

-jav