> Hi:
>
> :
>
> Can someone direct me to the procedures/guidelines document that I
> should follow to setup a department web server on campus?

Hey, that sounds like a good idea (having procedures/guidelines)...

I don't know of any guidelines geared specifically towards web servers,
at least that are posted anywhere that I have seen.  I did attend a
seminar on web site usability for persons with disabilities, but I
don't know where that information is online.

As for general server guidelines, you may want to review your general
system security.  A good place to start is at:

  http://security.msu.edu/

In particular, look under "Promising Practices" for your OS, and
particularly pay attention to the IIS checklist if you are going
to use IIS (I'd recommend Apache instead, but you may have to
consider other factors).  Also look under "Security Tools" -
much of the information there is valuable.

An alternative to setting up your own server is to set up your web
pages under AFS, on www.msu.edu, or on our virtual hosting web
server (see "http://w3vh.msu.edu").

Doug Nelson                     [log in to unmask]
Network Manager                 Ph: (517) 353-2980
Computer Laboratory             http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/
Michigan State University