Michael,

What registry key was the DHCPEnabled = 0 located at? I'm guessing that
your computer has multiple network cards. (or at least the OS thinks you
do) To determine this you can check a couple of spots in the registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards

this key will have all of the network cards that the OS has recognized
in separate keys 1, 2, .... etc.

for example here is what an export of one of my nics looks like:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards\1]
"ServiceName"="{B8A62F21-8385-48D5-B224-D6488F74EDF9}"
"Description"="3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)"

The Service Name is what you're really interested in from here. You can
check the settings by searching at:
HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services

You will see a key with the title of the service that corresponds with
your network card. For example:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\{B8A62F21-8385-48D5-B224-D6488F74EDF9}\Parameters\Tcpip]
"EnableDHCP"=dword:00000000
"IPAddress"=hex(7):31,00,39,00,32,00,2e,00,31,00,36,00,38,00,2e,00,31,00,37,00,\
  2e,00,32,00,00,00,00,00
"SubnetMask"=hex(7):32,00,35,00,35,00,2e,00,32,00,35,00,35,00,2e,00,32,00,35,\
  00,35,00,2e,00,30,00,00,00,00,00
"DefaultGateway"=hex(7):00,00

This is where the parameters are stored for your current configuration
of the OS for the card found above. Each network card the system finds
will have one of these keys corresponding to the Service ID. My
recommendation is to run "ipconfig" and obtain your IP address that you
currently have then see what card/service it is associated to. From
there you can ensure that EnableDHCP=0 for that particular service.

One last tip: If it is indeed disabled for the service and ipconfig
still returns that you're using DHCP (and if it is actually using dhcp
and this causes problems) I recommend removing the network cards from
device manager, then purging the registry of all subkeys from:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards as well as
all of the corresponding keys from ...Services. Then let the OS
re-detect the card(s). This "should" fix the problem. As always make a
backup before you try this as you're playing with fire now. :)

Hope this helps,

Paul Donahue
Lead Computer/Network Technician
CVM Information Technology Center
A227 VMC, Michigan State University
Phone:  353-5551   Fax:  432-2937

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/15/02 04:56PM >>>
Hi All -

Another head-scratcher here. My Win2000 PDC shows DHCP enabled every
time I
go into IP configuration. The machine is operating off it's fixed IP
parameters but won't hold them in the config form when it is called up.
I've
checked the registry for DHCP enabled, all that I've found are set to
hex 0.
Other dhcp registry entries are much less clear about their
functionality and
I think I'll avoid toggling them without somebody's feedback.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Michael Hoxsey
Network Administrator