The University of Wisconsin System also signed a custom agreement with
Microsoft a few years back.  This was for all universities and technical
colleges in the UW System.  I was working at UW-Madison at the time, and
their spending on Microsoft software dropped from $600k to $250k under the
agreement (projected spending would have actually gone up to $750k without
it due to MS's new licensing schemes).  I believe the UW System as a whole
spends $2.2 million a year on the contract, which covers all faculty/staff
and students.  Students paid an additional fee when they purchased the
media/license instead of mandatory fee for all students.

The UW received a lot of flak when they were pursuing the license, as many
thought it was selling out to MS.  But they eventually went on to sign
similar agreements with Apple, Adobe, and Corel(a Novell ALA was already in
place).  As someone who supported a Windows network, it certainly made
managing licenses a lot easier.  Another benefit was that we could easily
upgrade MS software in mass, so we weren't supporting several versions at
once.

Info on the UW's license agreements:
http://wiscinfo.doit.wisc.edu/wisc/UW_Madison/fs_index.html

MS Agreement: