Are you "redirecting" your desktop folders to the server via group policy for W2K clients?
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">John Valenti
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 11:31 AM
Subject: Windows 2000 *slow* startup & login

hi,

I've had to restart my primary Win2000 server several times in the last week. It appears to be getting worse, I restarted about 9:30am and the problem is back already.

Problem description: Windows 2000 clients at boot up hang up at the message "Applying computer settings". They will set at that point for maybe 30 minutes (about 30 seconds is normal). Then the login screen is presented, after logging in, the message "Loading your personal settings" displays for about 30 minutes. Once past this point, things seem more or less normal.

Things seem normal if I login at the server, but terminal services connections to that server are refused.
Windows 98 clients don't seem to be affected.

The server is at SP2 and all of the security patches through about Jan 15th were applied.

Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing this?
thanks
-jav

* John Valenti Systems Analyst, Labor & Industrial Relations *
* 408 S Kedzie Hall, Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI 48824 *
* (517) 353-1807 fax (517) 355-7656 [log in to unmask] *