We assign a three character alpha dept code plus a unique
three-digit number to every computer at the moment we receive it.
That six-character identifier then becomes the computer/host name
for the computer.  We use it to track inventory, location of
equipment, IP address assignment, etc.  We have an (internally
available) "map" on a web page which shows us the location of every
computer along with other vital info about the computer.  The map is
a floor-plan layout of our facilities... which helps us quickly
visualize exactly where a particular piece of equipment is.  That
can be a real time-saver when a piece of equip misbehaves  :)

Gordon

-----