On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 10:29:10AM -0500, Rob Neary wrote:

   Also another option...  We have several MSQL projects here, run on
   Linux with Apache, which work well.  The main differnence between
   the two is the complexity and performance you get for *LARGE*
   databases.  A good example of that is MySQL isn't a Relational
   Database engine (yet)...

I should I have have mentioned this in my posting regarding
Oracle... but we opted for PostgreSQL instead of Oracle because of the
cost factor.  I have developed both system and web applications using
it and it really is an rdbms.  I have likewise used both SQL Server
2000 and Oracle 8i/9i (we still use under the Academic license) and
haven't ran into circumstances where either one would work better than
PostgreSQL.  Features we use in brief:

- Cross platform support (Windows, Solaris, Linux)
- Cursors
- Foreign Key constraints
- Replication
- Stored Procedures (PGSQL, Perl, C)
- Triggers
- User defined datatypes
- Support for JDBC and SSL

From my experience with each, PostgreSQL is faster than SQL Server
2000 or Oracle.  Yes, this could easily be disproven using some
metrics X and spending night/day tweaking each installation, but I
don't have time for that, nor do we have millions of transactions per
second or tables with millions of rows.

PostgreSQL only weak point may be having a unified development
platform, such as Oracle Application Server (not sure about MS product
for this).

Dennis Kelly
Network Administrator
College of Engineering