What I have done recently works on Win2K, but may not work on WinME.
I place the NIC in a different slot depending on where I am. For example
I would place the NIC in Slot 1 when at home, but put it in Slot 2 at work.

Win2K assumes that the NIC is different, and activates a different network
configuration. The only down side is the continual switching of network
cards.