FYI,

I mentioned that I was seeing many system event log entries referring to duplicate names.

Specifically they are from NetBT, the event ID is 4319, and the description is: "A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state."

I find about 35 of these messages in my log, covering the last ten days and 16 different addresses. The IP addresses are all 35.10.64.xxx, which is the DHCP range for my building. When I do the nbtstat command, I don't see anything in conflict. (maybe the situation resolves itself after a timeout?)

I did find Q120752 at Microsoft that describes this error. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q120752
That article ends with "NOTE: This error message is generated in many cases due to normal circumstances, and should not be cause for alarm."
I think I'll ignore these messages, since I don't detect any patterns in the systems affected.

This research also turned up this jewel:
Hmm. I had a very similar error with a Small Business Server 2000
server. What was happening was that a script we had set up was logging
each user onto about 7 mapped drives when they logged on. Due to some
complete awfulness in Win2k Pro, each mapped drive counts as a user on
the license server, so the licenses run out. But, we did keep having
pop-ups on the server telling us that our server was near to the maximum
number of licenses, or had exceeded the maximum number.
From Andy Ward at [log in to unmask]" eudora="autourl">http:[log in to unmask]

I've also been seeing license warnings on this server, and couldn't figure out why. This might explain those too.
-jav

* John Valenti Systems Analyst, Labor & Industrial Relations *
* 408 S Kedzie Hall, Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI 48824 *
* (517) 353-1807 fax (517) 355-7656 [log in to unmask] *