I think the theory (or fear) would go like this: some new exploit
comes out that allows execution of an arbitrary executable, which
then runs Outlook exploiting some feature that causes damage
on the target machine.

I've never seen evidence of this, but then again I've never seen a
program so completely twisted and full of holes as the Outlook
code base seems to be.  Although I haven't removed it myself
from my users systems, I can see the logic in it.

--STeve Andre' (Political Science)