I think that Pilot should be scanning for viruses, that users would welcome
it, and that this worry about the AUP is misplaced. All the system has to
do is to bounce an infected message back to the sender. There's no need to
keep a copy of it here, to notify an administrator, or anything like that
that would involve any person here seeing the content of a message. At most
there could be a log entry made that a certain message was bounced back,
without any record of its content. If you feel strongly about it, the
system could also send a note to the recipient telling him/her that a
message has been blocked.

On the other hand, I have mixed feelings about how important this is. First
of all, in my department at least, we have (finally) educated most of our
users to not blindly open attachments, so the greatest threat is behind us.
The time for this to have been done was really about three years ago.
Second, I have always felt that anti-virus software can give users a false
sense of security.  If they hear that their email is being scanned, it's
all too easy for them to conclude that they are now fully protected and
that they don't have to be careful any more.  I have seen any number of
computers with anti-virus software become infected, because the user did
something foolish and the virus was too new to be detected. Educating users
and modifying their behavior is the best way to prevent viruses.

--Chris
Chris Wolf                    Computer Service Manager
Agricultural Economics        [log in to unmask]
Michigan State University     517 353-5017