At this time, subject to the whims of Microsoft of course, you can still downgrade to Win 2000 or NT 4.x on corporate licensing. They had pulled it for a while, but put it back in due to popular threats from some large companies. ;-)  I've not found anything specific regarding academic licensing yet.
-----Original Message-----
From: Margaret Wilson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 9:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Exchange fixed & WinXP

We're buying XP licenses.  It's probably not legal to buy XP licenses and install Win2000, but if the license key works, what they hey....  My guess is that it won't.  Product activation is disabled in the academic version as well.  I'm already working on a standard image for WinXP Pro, and we plan to roll this out instead of Windows 2000 Pro.  Although it will take me longer to get the image ready and tested, it'll save us money in the long run.

Regards,

Margaret