Following is a position to work with the CS Mott group but primarily Vicki Morrone who serves organic vegetable and field crop farmers. The work will offer opportunities to visit farms and field programs as well as assisting with creating the visits and field days, promotion, recording activities (photos and occasional filming and evaluations) and summation of findings through data entry and statistics. Please read on if you are interested or pass to someone who may. Thanks. We hope to fill this in May, yes this month.
Thanks for sharing the info.
Are you interested in learning about organic agriculture and Michigan food systems AND getting paid???
The C.S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems at MSU is seeking a Michigan State University undergraduate student for a summer position at 20 hours/week from May 20 through August 29, 2008, with the possibility to continue into the ‘08-‘09 academic year.
The student will be hired as a Research Aide II at $ 8.50/hour.
We will hire a student or someone seeking part-time work and has some experience and interest in agricultural extension, program evaluation, program implementation, agricultural production and marketing outreach. This person will work primarily with the outreach specialist for organic vegetable and field crop systems and will occasionally assist other group members. The C.S. Mott Group engages communities in applied research and outreach to promote sustainable food systems with a goal to improve access and availability of healthy, locally produced food. For more information on the Mott Group please visit http://mottgroup.msu.edu/.
2008 projects and programs that the student will assist to develop and implement includes;
• Cover crop workshop for farmers at Kellogg Biological Station, June 12.
• Two farm equipment field days to promote Michigan vegetable production, July.
• Soil building and market opportunities field days, August 20, 21.
• Michigan Farmers Markets data updates
• Summation and layout of organic vegetable production factsheets.
• Able to maintain work schedule commitments
• Class schedule that allows one full day each week to assist with workshops
• Willing and able to work some weekends
• Experience with MS Publisher, MS Excel software to produce programs, spread sheets, and simple data analysis
• Good personal skills to communicate by phone and in person
• Strong interest and some familiarity in agriculture production and domestic marketing systems
• Interest in organic agriculture production
• Familiarity with data collection and survey interview process
If you are interested in applying for this position please contact Vicki Morrone [log in to unmask] or 517-353-3542. Please send her a letter of interest, your resume, your summer schedule of classes and contact information for two references.
Organic Vegetable and Crop Outreach Specialist
Michigan State University
C.S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems
303 Natural Resources Bldg.
East Lansing, MI 48824
For information on organic agriculture production please visit: http://www.MichiganOrganic.msu.edu/
Please consider the environment before printing this email