Ziibimijwang (ZEE-BEE mige-waang) is owned by the Little Traverse Bay Bands of
Odawa Indians (LTBB). Ziibimijwang is committed to restoring and strengthening
mino-bimaadiziwin (Anishinaabe- the Good Life) of the Odawa Community through
a foundation of indigenous food systems and cultural activities. The 100 acre
farm will enhance LTBB food sovereignty by providing a reliable food source
for the community independent of the larger food system, encouraging a healthy
lifestyle for our people and enhancing our people’s knowledge and ability to
garden and perform subsistence activities for themselves. . We are proud to
grow high quality, nutritionally dense, organically grown, seasonal vegetables
in the "Tip of the Mitt" in Michigan's Lower Peninsula using sustainable
farming practices that care for the soil, groundwater, and adjacent natural
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic individual to help grown
our organization. We are scaling up to 10 acres this season with the ultimate
goal of 20-30 acres in production in seasons to come. We are using our
substantial land base (100 acres of tillable ground) and support from tribal
government to provide the quantity and quality of food needed to feed 1,400
local tribal citizens as well as local restaurants and institutions.
-Degree in agriculture, vegetable production, horticulture or related field,
or completion of a certificate program such as the MSU Student Organic Farmer
Training or similar and/or equivalent experience.
- Must have a driver’s license and be insurable.
- Minimum 4 years documented work experience on a farm or market garden with
at least two of those years being in a managerial capacity.
- Physical ability to lift 50 lbs. and work outside in all seasons and weather
- Knowledge and skills in organic growing methods, pest management, soil
management, composting and safe food handling.
- Experience with the organic certification process.
- 4-season growing experience with knowledge in hoophouse and greenhouse
- Knowledge of farm equipment machinery and repairs.
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills.
- Entrepreneurial energy, high level of initiative, flexibility and positive
- Excellent personal, communication, and customer service skills.
- Passion for innovation and excellence in local food systems and rural
• Provide oversight and management of Ziibimijwang Farm operations.
- Crop Care: Growing, maintenance, management and sales of crops.
• Manage crops using organic, high productivity practices.
• Insect and weed control, fertility monitoring and general field observation.
• Practice 4 season vegetable production and season extension.
• Manage, maintain and perform simple repairs of all Ziibimijwang Farm
equipment, irrigation, high tunnels, house, cooler, gates, fences, etc.
• Keep detailed records of expenses, sales, crop schedules, yields, successes
• Manage and direct supplemental labor, if required, for Ziibimijwang Farm.
• Maintain Ziibimijwang Farm and grounds in a professional and attractive
• Friendly and open interaction with neighbors and visitors and ability to
positively engage in community relationships at the farm and markets.
• Work as a team member with community partners.
• Work respectfully and cooperatively with the Ziibimijwang Board of
- The Ziibimijwang Farm is a community asset and appropriate maintenance of
the facility is required, just as in any other business or endeavor.
- Keeping good records of planting, harvesting, fertilizing, sales, and all
other documents relevant to organic certification.
2 Bedroom Farmhouse ($9,600 annual value) and utilities (heat, water,
electric, Up to $200 per month, $2,400 annually)
$12 per hour wage.
Bonuses up to 7% of agriculture-related gross revenue.
This position is based on the entrepreneurial model. Ziibimijwang is committed
to developing a successful model based on proven techniques and we are
committed to putting into place conditions that support a grower’s success.
This position is for a grower who has an entrepreneurial and pioneering
spirit, is ready to build a business, is motivated to make it successful, and
have an adaptive management style.
Email cover letter and resume with the subject line "Ziibimijwang Farm
Manager" to Joe VanAlstine At [log in to unmask]
* Specify location(s) - city & state - as FIRST ITEM in the Subject Line description.
* Subscribe to Comfoodjobs: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__elist.tufts.edu_wws_subscribe_comfoodjobs&d=DwIDaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=dWvhVGYdXPgQj6pG0e9NFA&m=GX3kyxOuN2gz8iORqubbtnQ0iRlXwJbciyujW8gC0C8&s=dCLB7TCCN49un-JGLOkjKtnLIts_L6FvLv3ym7Vy3ow&e=
* UNSUBSCRIBE: Address to [log in to unmask] Type in the Subject line: unsubscribe COMFOODJOBS and type in the Body of the email: unsubscribe COMFOODJOBS
OR: Click on:
* Comfoodjobs ARCHIVES: For prior job listings, go to: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__elist.tufts.edu_wws_info_comfoodjobs&d=DwIDaQ&c=nE__W8dFE-shTxStwXtp0A&r=dWvhVGYdXPgQj6pG0e9NFA&m=GX3kyxOuN2gz8iORqubbtnQ0iRlXwJbciyujW8gC0C8&s=K-i9O-onp9JGtq8RZyI2XnN8i1MgYYocBM_7_wj8PNQ&e=