February Newsletter #1

February 5th - 9th, 2024

SPRING CAREER EXPO - Tomorrow

Complimentary parking is available in Lot 79 (325 West Shaw Lane).

  • The parking kiosk will prompt you through the process. The steps will be in this order:
  • Enter full license plate number
  • Select duration
  • Do you have a validation code?  (Select 1 for yes)
  • Enter validation code number 24EXPO
  • The last option is would you like a receipt? Yes or No.

Tuesday, February 6:

  • Student Registration: Starts at 2:30pm (Elevator Lobby of Stadium)
  • Expo Open House: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM, 4th floor of Spartan Stadium
  • Networking Reception: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM, 8th floor of Spartan Stadium

Wednesday, February 7:

  • Interview Day: 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM, 4th floor of Spartan Stadium

Spring Expo Prep!

Getting Started & Dress Code

Business Professional attire is expected at CAREER EXPO and Interview Day. If you need professional attire, stop by the Empowerment Closet in the Russell Palmer Career Management Center (M120) to rent clothes for free!

  • Bring many copies of your current resume and be prepared to sell yourself!
  • Greet recruiters with a handshake and smile.
  • Do your homework – research all aspects of a company before EXPO.
  • Information on companies attending and the jobs they are hiring for are listed on Handshake.

Career Fair Conversation

Conversations at career fairs can be intimidating. Below is a sample conversation tool you can use to prepare. It is always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the employer and the opportunities they have before making an introduction.

Interview Day

Always bring extra resumes to interviews. You should also bring a list of your references in case it is requested on an application. Many interviews are behavioral based. That means the employer will ask for specific examples of how you performed in a given situation.

Example: Tell me about a time when you gave exceptional customer service.

Example: Tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership.

Post Interview - Thank You Email

Following the interview, you will send a thank-you email to your interviewers within 24 hours.   Request the recruiters' business cards so you have their title and correct address. If you did not get a business card, check on Handshake or contact SIRC.   See a sample thank you letter below.

SIRC Student Dashboard

Here you can:

  • Submit internship application:
    • You can submit an application for your internship and SIRC will review to see if it will satisfy your level I internship.
  • Upload Resume:
    • You can upload your resume for employer access. I direct all of our employers to this site, so it is useful to have your resume included.
  • Job Alert Bulletin (JAB)
    • You can view internships/jobs that are shared specifically with our HB students.

Job Alert Bulletin

New positions are posted throughout the semester. Use the link below to see available opportunities.

SHB Resume Book

Have you submitted your resume to be included in our SHB Resume Book? Once approved, your resume will be available to recruiters through our site and can lead to internship/job offers.

"SIRC" The Student and Industry Resource Center

Career Services Office for The School of Hospitality Business - 4th Floor Eppley Center

[log in to unmask]   517-353-9747

[log in to unmask]" alt="created in Publicate">

Troy Walker
Director

Student and Industry Resource Center “SIRC”
The School of Hospitality Business

Broad College of Business
SIRC Phone: 517-353-9747

Email: [log in to unmask]