The D.K. Kim Foundation Business For Good Program<https://cba.lmu.edu/centers/ibes/eventsprograms/businessforgood/>, Institute For Business Ethics and Sustainability, College of Business Administration, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles

Presents

The Business For Good Educators Workshop

Registration Link (Free But Required)<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfdAkD1HWYk_3EfwB9Xf5YEKEpBX8BXVTy62TygQs37u-rKNw/viewform?usp=sf_link>

October 14 Saturday - 9-10 am Central USA Time
October 14 Saturday - 7-8 pm Central USA Time
October 15 Sunday - 9-10 am Central USA Time
October 21 Saturday - 9-10 am Central USA Time
October 21 Saturday - 7-8 pm Central USA Time
October 22 Sunday - 9-10 am Central USA Time

Sessions May Be Consolidated Based on Demand

What is this workshop about?

To provide an introductory orientation by sharing content and methods with educators on the unique bottom-up approach to teaching Business For Good. The course covers a structured semester-long project focused on grand challenges and specifically understanding and designing a solution and a business plan for subsistence marketplaces while meeting the triple bottom line.

We have developed and delivered this course to thousands of students while overseeing hundreds of semester-long group projects. The broader bottom-up approach evolved through the subsistence marketplaces stream, pioneered at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and extended to Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles. Educational experiences through this stream have reached almost a thousand students annually for the last 15 years and educational content is used by educators around the world.

Sample content at - https://www.subsistencemarketplaces.org/education.html

Why should I participate?

To learn about our unique bottom-up approach to teaching Business for good encompassing a semester long project

To learn about and get access to:

  *   cutting-edge bottom-up educational content developed in subsistence marketplaces, such as 360 videos, poverty simulations, Day-in-the-Life videos, image-based immersion exercises, etc.

  *   slide decks and all related course content

  *   structured project deliverables

  *   playable videos

To stimulate your thinking to create a learning assignment or experience, a module, a part of a course or an entire course

To learn about service learning experiences through marketplace literacy

To accomplish any or all of the above

Who can apply and how? Is there a fee? What can we expect as follow-up?

The workshop is free but registration is required by clicking here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfdAkD1HWYk_3EfwB9Xf5YEKEpBX8BXVTy62TygQs37u-rKNw/viewform?usp=sf_link>.

All follow-up workshops will also be free. Depending on interest, we intend to follow-up with a longer workshop that helps participants as they use the material. We will also developing forums to provide small group or individual support for those who wish to experiment with and/or adopt any part of our approach.

Our role is to be a resource for you as it relates to our content and methods.

Background Information On The Bottom-Up Approach To Subsistence Marketplaces

Since its origin, subsistence marketplace research has accumulated a substantial body of knowledge paralleling other approaches to poverty, such as the capabilities approach and base-of-the-pyramid research, providing unique and complementary insights. The term “subsistence marketplaces” was deliberately coined to reflect the need to study these marketplaces across resource and literacy barriers in their own right, beyond being new markets for companies. Unique to this stream of work is its bottom-up approach, which is reflected in the research, education, and practice that has taken shape. The symbiotic academic-social enterprise was pioneered at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and extended to Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, with the parallel social enterprise entitled the Marketplace Literacy Project (MLP). More information on the Subsistence Marketplaces Initiative can be found at www.subsistencemarketplaces.org<http://www.subsistencemarketplaces.org/>

Background Information On DK Kim Foundation Business For Good Program

The D.K. Kim Foundation Business for Good Program, housed within the Institute for Business Ethics and Sustainability at LMU College of Business Administration, opens individuals’ minds to new ways of thinking about business, informed by our Jesuit and Marymount values and decades of pioneering research. The program aligns with the CBA mission "to advance knowledge and develop business leaders with moral courage and creative confidence to be a force for good in the global community."

The Business for Good program focuses on subsistence marketplaces and designs business solutions for low-income communities around the globe. Rather than using a top-down approach, our program uses a unique bottom-up approach that intentionally centers on the individuals or communities at the micro-level. This approach is particularly valuable as we seek to understand contexts of poverty and how to directly engage those individuals at every stage of the business solution process.

The Business for Good program was established with a significant gift from the D.K. Kim Foundation to design and disseminate Business for Good learning experiences, thereby deepening the educational experience and increasing the program’s impact on communities around the globe.

Program Objectives

The D.K. Kim Foundation Business for Good Program is distinct and builds on our experience with three objectives:

  1.  Expand Business for Good learning experiences to LMU students, faculty, staff and other stakeholders.

  2.  Share our Business for Good approach with educators across the globe to impact education in developing and emerging economies.

  3.  Create global virtual platforms for youth and communities on Business for Good and marketplace literacy.

  *

Madhu Viswanathan

Professor, Department of Marketing, College of Bus. Admin., Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles

Professor Emeritus and Research Professor, Department of Bus. Admin., Gies College of Business, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

Subsistence Marketplaces
www.subsistencemarketplaces.org<http://www.subsistencemarketplaces.org/>

Marketplace Literacy
www.marketplaceliteracy.org<http://www.marketplaceliteracy.org/>
Madhu Viswanathan

Professor, Department of Marketing, College of Bus. Admin., Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles

Professor Emeritus and Research Professor, Department of Bus. Admin., Gies College of Business, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

Subsistence Marketplaces
www.subsistencemarketplaces.org

Marketplace Literacy
www.marketplaceliteracy.org

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]
---
You must be an active AIB member to post to AIB-L .  AIB-L has a moderator which checks messages for basic relevance. However, AIB does not edit or screen messages for accuracy or reliability of content.  All subscribers are recommended to perform their own due-diligence before responding to any requests or calls. AIB accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided.