Dear Colleagues,

In case of interest, I would like to share a recently published article in Management International Review (ABS/AJG 3*, impact factor: 4.3), titled ‘Thinking About How We Think’: Using Bourdieu’s Epistemic Reflexivity to Reduce Bias in International Business Research’, which I had the pleasure of co-authoring with Professor Fiona Moore (Royal Holloway, University of London, United Kingdom).

url (‘open access’): https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11575-023-00507-3

The article devises a practical and non-prescriptive methodological “how-to” process regarding how to conduct reflexive research in IB and cognate fields. We place a particular emphasis on interrogating the ways in which intellectual and disciplinary biases (in addition to personal and social ones) potentially might influence the credibility of the knowledge we produce about IB phenomena. In this regard, we draw theoretical inspiration from Bourdieu’s (1989) reflexive sociology, and we link our discussion also to quantitative IB research.

I would be pleased to get in touch with colleagues who might want to try out the proposed methodological process. Future collaboration could perhaps result in new methodological articles that further enhance (or problematise) the said process and/or report about its value/utility (or lack thereof) and the outcomes of applying the process.

Finally, we would like to thank the journal and the three anonymous reviewers for an outstandingly valuable and developmental review process; the inquisitive, challenging, and rigorous commentary, indeed, substantially contributed to further improve the article and its contributions.

Thanks for your time.

Best wishes,

David S. A. Guttormsen

Professor in Organisation and Management

USN School of Business

Department of Business, Strategy and Political Sciences

University of South-Eastern Norway

Research group leader (‘New Perspectives on Work-Life and Organisations’)

Elected Faculty Board Member, USN School of Business

Associate Editor, Journal of Global Mobility (Emerald)

External Research Faculty (Thammasat Business School, Thammasat University)

---
You must be an active AIB member to post to AIB-L. AIB-L has a moderator which checks messages for basic relevance. However, AIB does not edit or screen messages for accuracy or reliability of content. All subscribers are recommended to perform their own due-diligence before responding to any requests or calls. AIB accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided.