Hi,

Are you concerned about things in the environment around you, like lead, or the products you use every day, like antiperspirants or nonstick cookware, impact on your health? It’s questions like these that we’re trying to answer.

Michigan has a long history of toxic environmental exposures and injustice in Michigan such as PBB contamination in the 1970s, lead and Flint’s water crisis, the dioxane plume in Ann Arbor, urban oil refineries and industrial pollution in Detroit, and, more recently, widespread PFAS exposure. Michiganders deserve to know how these exposures are impacting our health.

My name is Leigh Pearce, the lead researcher for MI-CARES, the Michigan Cancer and Research on the Environment Study. Our goal is to enroll at least 100,000 Michiganders (ages 25-44) across the entire state. Results from this study will help improve Michiganders’ health and inform policy to reduce environmental injustice and hazardous exposures.

If you join, you will be asked to complete a series of six short surveys on who you are, where you live, products that you use, things you do in your free time, and how you feel. And you’ll get a $10 gift card as a thank you for completing these surveys.

After completing the surveys you will also receive a code that you can share with friends and family - you’ll get an additional $5 for any of your friends or family who sign up using your code and complete the surveys!

Join MI-CARES.

If you aren’t eligible to participate, there are still ways to get involved. Visit our website, follow us on Facebook and Instagram, join us for a webinar, apply to be a Community Ambassador and more!

We are looking forward to collaborating with you and your community.  Thank you in advance for your support.

Thanks,

Leigh Pearce and the MI-CARES team