Graduate students - you might be interested in the following course if you are interested in participatory and emancipatory approaches to engagement!

- Julie

*******

Fall 2023

Participatory Modes of Inquiry

CSUS 838

3 credits

Interested in how to incorporate participatory approaches or community engagement into your scholarly work?  This course provides an in-depth, graduate-level exploration of the theory of participatory research.   The course will survey the major streams of literature that support an emancipatory approach to the ways in which we may engage with others — through action, learning, and inquiry.  Through our reading we will focus on understanding the differences across the engagement literatures, their worldviews, theoretical foundations, fields of application, and points of emphasis.  Throughout the course students are expected to consider how these approaches coincide or conflict with their own views of engagement.  How might we incorporate these engagement approaches into our own personal and professional lives? The format of the course is varied and includes mini-lectures, discussion, and individual and collective reflection.

The course is designed as a three-credit survey of the literature, with individual applications of associated engagement principles.  Students interested in hands-on techniques for working with groups may consider taking CSUS 891 Facilitative Leadership (Fall Semester).  If interested, please contact Professor Kimberly Chung at[log in to unmask].

For more information, contact the instructor:
Kimberly Chung    ([log in to unmask])
Associate Professor

Course meets:
Thursdays             1:50 – 4:40 p.m.                 1235 Anthony Hall

Michigan State University occupies the ancestral, traditional, and contemporary Lands of the Anishinaabeg–Three Fires Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi peoples. The University resides on Land ceded in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw.