***If you would like to attend, SAFS students and faculty affiliates are welcome to register and travel with the MSU SAFS group! Let Julie Cotton know at [log in to unmask] if you are interested!***

Hello Lansing community! There is great conference coming up February 25: the Michigan Family Farms Conference in Kalamazoo, and a super easy, inexpensive way to get there… riding a charted bus together from downtown Lansing!

This conference is for ANYONE, and EVERYONE, interested in beginning, small-scale, and/or culturally diverse growing. You will leave inspired for the season ahead and feeling connected to the Michigan food-growing community. Come, be part of the Lansing contingent attending the Michigan Family Farms Conference!

To register for a seat on the bus, and a spot at the conference, simply send an email to Julie Lehman or call her at 517-853-7809. The total cost of riding the charter bus and attending the conference is only $10 for adults and $5 for youth, 5 and up!

The bus will arrive at First Presbyterian Church, at [log in to unmask],-84.5591354,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x2adcf1dcfa1a6a1b?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiSvqO6jej8AhU8EEQIHe7YAzgQ_BJ6BAhkEAg__;Kys!!HXCxUKc!y1lpA5HsKCqSvFxsbVSxbjy-qs0XyYX8K4MyBwOvWCSBqmAqPgwnjqpj_J7rqxUFow_yUcYFwNzlwYh7$" style="color: rgb(5, 99, 193);" class="">510 W. Ottawa St., Lansing, 48933, at 6:40am on Saturday, February 25. There is onsite parking in the church parking lot. The bus departs promptly at 7am and will have you back to Lansing before 6pm!

Please share this email with others that may be interested in attending! We would love to fill this bus and make sure many across the Lansing community are able to attend! Again, they can contact me over phone (number below) or email to register.

SPECIFIC CONFERENCE INFORMATION

The 19th annual Michigan Family Farms Conference is coming up on Saturday, February 25 at Kalamazoo Valley Community College from 9 am – 4:30 pm. The Michigan Family Farms Conference offers beginning, small-scale, and culturally diverse farmers a chance to network, learn, and build sustainable family farms. It is an energizing, hands-on event featuring multiple tracks of breakout sessions plus a youth track (ages 5+) to engage the whole family.

Year after year, farmers, educators, and food system professionals gather to network, learn, and share resources and experiences. We also come together to celebrate diversity, expand our knowledge of sustainable agriculture, and strengthen the supportive network of farmers that we know is essential for building resilient farms.

This year’s conference includes over 30 workshops covering topics ranging from soil health, climate, the Farm Bill, land access, registering your farm to accept SNAP payments, finance, crop insurance, selling to food hubs, Manoomin, beekeeping, farm to school, and more! There will also be storytelling and performances by Amber Hassan and SouFy.

Stay up to date with all conference-related updates online here and on Facebook here

Feel free to send any conference specific questions to Lauren, or to [log in to unmask]