The University of San Francisco Center for Business Studies and Innovation in Asia-Pacific presents a research seminar:

Keep Your Friends Close and Your Enemies Closer: The Impact of Accelerator Cohort Composition on Startup Outcomes

Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2023
11:45 AM (PST)

Register here to receive a Zoom link: https://usfca.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMpduGhpzkvE9dCww5_S2xUQQjQwoHDFdfL

Presenter: Dr. Jung Yun Han (Associate Professor at National Taiwan University)

Abstract: How does cohort composition affect the outcomes of accelerator participants? Literature on inter-firm and peer learning in entrepreneurship provides mixed predictions: seeking diverse knowledge and being different vs. pursuing fast learning via similar peers. To reconcile the arguments, we investigate the key contingencies, types of knowledge transferred (market knowledge vs. technology), and the unique nature of competition in each knowledge type. Using the data of Silicon Valley accelerators and their participants during 2005-2018, we find an inverted-U-shaped relationship between market knowledge similarity in a cohort and post-accelerator performance and a positive relationship between technology similarity and performance. Our study reveals a peer learning mechanism in accelerators and provides a nuanced understanding of the effect of knowledge diversity on startup performance.

--

June Y. Lee, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor