Dear Friends and Colleagues,

We are delighted to share accomplishments, news, and activities from Global Strategy Journal (GSJ) in this 2022 Year in Review.

The Journal Citation Report released its new analyses for 2021, and GSJ achieved an impact factor of 7.393, making it a Q1 journal. The Academic Journal Guide classified GSJ as a level 4 journal the previous year. We thank the authors, reviewers, and associate editors for contributing to such achievements.

Grazia Santangelo of Copenhagen Business School will become the new Coeditor of the journal in 2023. She studies the evolution of firms’ internationalization process and how firms strategize on their intangibles, such as knowledge and reputation, across borders. She is replacing Ram Mudambi, who is stepping down after six years as coeditor. We welcome Grazia and thank Ram for his valuable service.

We welcomed two new Associate Editors: Chang Hoon Oh of the University of Kansas, who studies non-market strategy in challenging environments, sustainability, and globalization; and Stephanie Wang of Indiana University, who analyzes capability upgrading, internationalization, sustainability, emerging market firms, and cultural industries.

This year’s GSJ Best Paper Prize went to “Modularity-as-property, modularization-as-process, and ‘modularity'-as-frame: lessons from product architecture initiatives in the global automotive industry” by John Paul MacDuffie (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.2042-5805.2012.01048.x). It joins a stream of impactful articles published in GSJ, such as the other recipients of the GSJ Best Paper Prize (https://www.strategicmanagement.net/awards/gsj-best-paper) and other highly cited and read articles (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/20425805?tabActivePane=undefined).

We continued our participation at conferences by joining meet-the-editor sessions, organizing paper development workshops (e.g., AIB, SMS), and sponsoring best paper awards (e.g., EIBA).

The four issues (February, May, August, and November) reflect our goals of a focused, high-quality journal shaping research conversations in global strategy. To celebrate the first decade of the journal, we published two Decade Celebration special issues: (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/toc/20425805/2022/12/3) and (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/toc/20425805/2022/12/4). These contain articles by thought leaders in strategic and international management that reflect on the past and future of key themes in global strategy. The two regular issues include articles grouped around common themes, one on innovation and learning (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/toc/20425805/2022/12/1) and another on contextual influences on strategy (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/toc/20425805/2022/12/2).

Looking ahead, we will publish a special issue on Complexity and Multinationals edited by Julian Birkinshaw, Marcus M. Larsen, Yue Maggie Zhou, and Gabriel R.G. Benito in 2023, and another special one on “Ownership and Global Strategy” edited by Geoffrey T. Wood, Anna Grosman, Michael J. Mol, and Alvaro Cuervo-Cazurra in 2024. You can find some of the papers forthcoming in these and the regular issues in the early view at (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/toc/20425805/0/0).

Thank you for making GSJ the top journal on strategy in context. We look forward to receiving your best work for consideration for publication. The editorial team has a goal of continuous improvement of the journal’s academic relevance and status, and we expect the journal’s second decade will witness even greater achievements.

Best wishes for the Holiday Season and 2023!

Gabriel R. G. Benito, Alvaro Cuervo-Cazurra, Ram Mudambi, and Grazia Santangelo

Co-Editors of Global Strategy Journal

Alvaro CUERVO-CAZURRA

  Professor, International Business and Strategy

  Northeastern University, D’Amore-McKim School of Business, 360 Huntington Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA

  Co-editor, Global Strategy Journal

   [log in to unmask] +1-617-373-6568. www.cuervo-cazurra.com

Recent articles

   Variations in the corporate social responsibility-performance relationship in emerging market firms. OS

   The future of global strategy. GSJ

   Host country politics and foreign multinationals' internationalization: a meta-analytical review. JMS

   A review of the internationalization of state-owned firms and sovereign wealth funds: governments nonbusiness objectives and discreet power. JIBS

Recent books

   Oxford Handbook on State Capitalism and the Firm. OUP

   Innovating for the Middle of the Pyramid in Emerging Markets. CUP

   Building Strategic Capabilities in Emerging Markets. CUP

---
You must be an active AIB member to post to AIB-L. AIB-L has a moderator which checks messages for basic relevance. However, AIB does not edit or screen messages for accuracy or reliability of content. All subscribers are recommended to perform their own due-diligence before responding to any requests or calls. AIB accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided.