Exploration Postdoctoral Fellowship in Earth and Space Science FY24

The School of Earth and Space Exploration (SESE) in The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Arizona State University invites applications for the postdoctoral research scholar position of Exploration Fellow. The mission of the postdoctoral fellowship is to foster SESE’s interdisciplinary research program by attracting and supporting outstanding early-career scientists and engineers to pursue independent research in collaboration with SESE faculty.

Research areas within SESE encompass astrophysics, astrobiology, cosmology, geology, Earth surface processes, planetary science, instrumentation and systems engineering, and Earth and space science education.

Anticipated start date for the position is July 2023.  Incoming Fellows will receive a competitive stipend with health benefits, plus discretionary research funds.  A relocation allowance will also be provided.  The initial appointment is for one year with subsequent annual renewal for up to a total of three years, contingent upon satisfactory performance, the needs of the university, and availability of resources.

Deadline for initial review of complete applications will be December 15, 2022.

Letters of reference will be requested with a deadline of December 22, 2022.

Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is closed.

For more information, including application procedures, please refer to the attached flyer.  Please share this notice with anyone whom you think might benefit.  Thank you!

Steven Semken, Ph.D., C.I.G. (he/him/his)

Professor of Geology and Education • Senior Global Futures Scientist

School of Earth and Space Exploration

Arizona State University

Tempe, Arizona 85287-1404 USA

semken.asu.edu

I acknowledge the twenty-three Native Nations that have inhabited Arizona for centuries, and that I live and work on ancestral territories of Indigenous peoples, including the Akimel O’odham, Pee Posh, and Yavapai, whose care and keeping of these lands allows me to be here today. I acknowledge the sovereignty of these Nations and endeavor to foster an environment of success and possibility for Indigenous students and stakeholders. I advocate for the ethical incorporation of Indigenous knowledge systems, research methodologies, and teaching practices in my scientific field.