Insect-vectored viruses have significant impacts on cropping systems in the Pacific Northwest (legumes, potatoes, apples). In this project, we are using ecological forecasting tools to predict locations where vector outbreaks are most likely to occur as an “early warning” system for farmers. To this end, we are looking to hire a postdoc with experience in fieldwork and data analysis to develop models that can be applied across multiple plant-insect systems. The resulting research will help understand the community ecology of plants, insects, and viruses, and the completed forecasts will become part of decision support tools through WSU extension.

Position description: This project is based out of Pullman, Washington and includes fieldwork in the Palouse region of eastern Washington and northern Idaho. Included in this project are also opportunities to work on collaborative vector projects in potato and apple cropping systems. Current funding is available for an initial 1 year, with a possibility of renewal for an additional two years. This USDA-funded project provides a competitive salary ($66K per year) and benefits package (health insurance, retirement, life insurance). The postdoc’s research will operate out of the Crowder lab (David Crowder, WSU Department of Entomology) and includes mentorship from a data scientist (Robert Clark, Affiliate Faculty, WSU Department of Entomology). While a basic working knowledge of R is required, training statistical techniques and vector biology will be provided to the postdoc as part of the aims of our project.

Qualifications: Candidates with a background in plant-insect interactions or plant pathology are preferred. Some R programming experience is required, and considerable expertise is preferred. Additionally valuable skills for this position include prior exposure to ecological modeling and experience mentoring undergraduate research assistants.

How to apply: To be considered for this position, provide a one-page cover letter, curriculum vitae, and a list of 3 references. Please outline in the cover letter how the candidate’s skills align with the goals of this project. Email these documents to the PI’s of the project, David Crowder ([log in to unmask]  ) and Robert Clark ([log in to unmask]  ) with the subject header "Postdoc candidate application for vector forecasting project”. Individuals who can add to the diversity of experience and knowledge to our research group are especially encouraged to apply.