Dear Colleagues,

AIB Oceania would like to invite you to our upcoming online event: Now what? Shaping your IB academic career in the post-COVID world.

The higher education sector in Oceania has been through a turbulent time in recent years. The combination of the global pandemic, ongoing cost cutting and pressure on Universities as government financial support decreases, and dwindling student numbers, particularly international students as a result of ongoing geopolitical tensions (Welch, 2022), has made getting a job as an academic increasingly difficult. With an estimated 40,000 job losses in Australian universities alone up to May 2021, early career academics and young university staff in particular have been the hardest hit (Norton, 2022) with Lecturer positions the most impacted.

AIB Oceania recognises the need to support early and mid-career IB scholars in such times, and is launching a series of upcoming events with a focus on practical, evidence-based and experiential knowledge sharing among our IB community in the region. Our first event presents a panel discussion on different experiences of early and mid-career International Business academics and how they have navigated their career through the recent and current environmental challenges, be it changing institutions, striving for promotion or leaving academia. The event will also include a Q&A with the audience. The panel includes: Dr Sandra Alday of the University of Sydney, Dr Swati Nagar of the Auckland University of Technology, Dr Joseph Yan of the University of Auckland, and Dr Carlos Vazquez Hernandez from the Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

The session is open to both AIB members and non-members, and is particularly aimed at providing insights to anyone wanting to go into academia, currently at the beginning of their academic career or wanting to move upwards and not sure how to navigate through the current institutional turmoil.

When: Tuesday 27th September 2022 at 9am AEST/12pm NZST online

To register (cost: free) and for more information including details of the panel, please go to: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/now-what-shaping-your-ib-academic-career-in-the-post-covid-environment-tickets-419294841157

We would also appreciate if you could please promote the even among your own networks.

On behalf of the AIB Oceania Board, we appreciate your help in promoting the event and look forward to seeing you there.

Kind regards,

Jane

JANE KERR
 | Associate Lecturer  | Sessional Tutor Coordinator (IBUS)
Discipline of International Business | University of Sydney Business School

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 4106, Abercrombie Building H70 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 8627 9752 | E [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

W  http://sydney.edu.au/business

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.

The University of Sydney Business School acknowledges the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the First Australians, whose lands, winds and waters we now all share, and pay respect to their unique values, and their continuing and enduring cultures which deepen and enrich the life of our nation and communities.

If you’re a student in Australia and feeling anxious or distressed, you can talk with one of the University counsellors from Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS). Book an appointment by calling 02 8627 8433 or 02 8627 8437 between 9am and 5pm. Outside CAPS business hours, you can contact the University of Sydney Mental Wellbeing Support Line on 1300 474 065.