IB scholars are increasingly concerned with *societal polarization*. The
United States has polarized, but so have many *European countries*.

The below article:

-          Summarizes the theoretical discussion on polarization in
political science

-          Leverages data on values, norms, and demographics of almost
30,000 Europeans

-          Distinguishes between three “identities” that shape debate
across Europe: *postmodern cosmopolitans *versus *urban precariat
*versus *rural
traditionalists*

-          Describes the changes in these “identities” across Europe over
time and across generations

-          Concludes that Europe and the European Union are facing some
serious tensions rooted in these three oppositional identities

The paper is *open access *and can be found here:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/jcms.13342

As  the *Journal of Common Market Studies
<https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/14685965>*(a journal focused on
Europe) is not commonly included on everyone’s reading list, I thought I’d
share it with you all.

Enjoy the summer

Sjoerd Beugelsdijk
Professor of International Business
Research director Global Economics and Management (GEM
<https://www.rug.nl/feb/organization/departments/gem/>)
Fellow of the Academy of International Business
<https://aib.msu.edu/aibfellows.asp>
Editor *Journal of International Business Studies <http://www.jibs.net/>*
Overview of publications: Google Scholar
<http://scholar.google.nl/citations?user=XlzSoZIAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao>

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]
AIB-L is a moderated list.