#STRongerTogether Virtual Symposium (June 24, 2022)
Registration link for the DEBATE: Theory of the “international” firm. June 24th, 2022, Friday

Do we need a new theory of the ‘international’ firm?
Barney and Teece, versus Buckley and Verbeke

Dear Colleagues,

Please join us in an exciting Ox-Bridge style debate on whether we need a new theory of the ‘international’ firm.

The original charge will be: "There is no need for a new theory of the 'international' firm."

"For" side: Peter Buckley and Alain Verbeke, debating the current theories are adequate,
"Against" side: David Teece and Jay Barney, debating that there is a need for a new approach.

There is much to debate. Some of the interesting tensions around this broad charge are listed as a non-exhaustive list below, to spark audience participation following the debate. For instance:

  *   Do we need a new theory of the firm, specifically addressing the “international” firm?
  *   What would a new theory of the international firm look like?
  *   What are the boundary conditions and shift parameters that such a new theory would entail?
  *   For theory testing, what would general models look like for such a new theory?
  *   Do we need a new approach that integrates strategic management and theories of the international firm, so we can better explain the changing nature of contexts, organizational forms, incentives, motivations, frictions, and stakeholders?