The Agroecology Lab at the University of Maine <https://agroecolab.com/> is
seeking a M.S. student to join our group starting in Fall 2022. The
successful applicant will join our highly interdisciplinary team and
conduct research and outreach related to sustainability, agroecology, and
soil health. Our interdisciplinary group works closely with farmer
organizations across the Northeastern United States, and seeks to address
production challenges through the lens of climate change adaptation and
mitigation. Our work is grounded in the complementary traditions of
agroecology and participatory action research.

The title of the project is “Covering Ground: Assessing Effectiveness of
Interseeded Cover Crops in Late Season Vegetables to Enhance Soil Health in
the Northeast”. The project and position are funded through the National
Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) U.S. Department of Agriculture,
the Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (NE-SARE)
program under subaward number LNE22-451R-AWD00000495.

To apply, candidates should first send a curriculum vitae cover letter to
Dr. Rachel Schattman ([log in to unmask]) by June 15th, 2022. If
approved, applicants may apply to the University of Maine Graduate School.
The successful candidate will enroll in the University of Maine School of
Food and Agriculture M.S. Plant, Soil, and Environment degree program
<https://umaine.edu/foodandagriculture/graduate-programs/>. This research
assistant position is funded, and includes tuition (9 graduate credits per
semester, 1 credit for summer), a stipend, and University of Maine student
health insurance. Student fees are not covered by this assistantship.
Interested applicants should review the guidelines for graduate study
<https://umaine.edu/foodandagriculture/ms-psehortguidelines/>, and contact
Dr. Schattman with any questions.

*[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>+1 646 926 0565*