The Agroecology Lab at the University of Maine is seeking a M.S. student to join our group starting in Fall 2022. The successful applicant will join our highly interdisciplinary team and conduct research and outreach related to sustainability, agroecology, and soil health. Our interdisciplinary group works closely with farmer organizations across the Northeastern United States, and seeks to address production challenges through the lens of climate change adaptation and mitigation. Our work is grounded in the complementary traditions of agroecology and participatory action research.

The title of the project is “Covering Ground: Assessing Effectiveness of Interseeded Cover Crops in Late Season Vegetables to Enhance Soil Health in the Northeast”. The project and position are funded through the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Northeast Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (NE-SARE) program under subaward number LNE22-451R-AWD00000495.

To apply, candidates should first send a curriculum vitae cover letter to Dr. Rachel Schattman ([log in to unmask]) by June 15th, 2022. If approved, applicants may apply to the University of Maine Graduate School. The successful candidate will enroll in the University of Maine School of Food and Agriculture M.S. Plant, Soil, and Environment degree program. This research assistant position is funded, and includes tuition (9 graduate credits per semester, 1 credit for summer), a stipend, and University of Maine student health insurance. Student fees are not covered by this assistantship. Interested applicants should review the guidelines for graduate study, and contact Dr. Schattman with any questions.

+1 646 926 0565