All HR and unit finance support staff,

If you support unit HR personnel, or support unit fiscal officers, you have probably been wondering what MSU is going to do about Internet Explorer (IE11) being removed from Windows 10 in June.  docview.ais.msu.edu and some forms in secportal.ebsp.msu.edu require plugins to work, and we have been relying on IE11 to deal with those exceptions since plugin support was removed from Firefox and Chrome.

docview.ais.msu.edu requires the Java 8 plugin
secportal.ebsp.msu.edu requires the Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Reader plugin for a few forms in EBS.  Acrobat versions since September 2021 have been certified by Adobe to work with IE mode in Microsoft Edge.

I have tested Internet Explorer mode (IE mode) in Edge for both docview.ais.msu.edu and secportal.ebsp.msu.edu and gotten it to login properly.  I tested navigation and download in docview and verified that it works.  I was not able to verify PDF forms in EBS due to lack of access.

The method I used was to put a sites.xml file named CompatViewEdgeSites.xml in our \\<domain>\netlogon folder and define group policy.  Note that the only way I was able to clear the site list from Edge was to remove both group policy settings.  Setting the "Configure the Enterprise Mode Site List" back to Not Configured was insufficient.  I followed Microsoft's instructions to download a new MSEdge policy administrative template from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download.  On that page I had to select the channel version, build and platform before the Get Policy Files link became enabled.

In "User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Edge" I set "Configure Internet Explorer integration" to "Internet Explorer mode" and I set "Configure the Enterprise Mode Site List" to reference the file I put in \\<domain>\netlogon.

The xml file contains the following:

<site-list version="18"> <!-- remember to update the version number after body is updated -->
  <site url="secportal.ebsp.msu.edu">
    <compat-mode>IE11</compat-mode>
    <open-in allow-redirect="true">IE11</open-in>
  </site>
  <site url="auth.msu.edu">
    <compat-mode>Default</compat-mode>
    <open-in>none</open-in>
  </site>
  <site url="docview.ais.msu.edu">
    <compat-mode>IE8Enterprise</compat-mode>
    <open-in allow-redirect="true">IE11</open-in>
  </site>
</site-list>

I had to add auth.msu.edu because without it Edge would get into a loop during login to secportal.ebsp.msu.edu where it would alternately open auth.msu.edu and secportal.ebsp.msu.edu until it blocked the user from accessing secportal.ebsp.msu.edu.

When <open-in>IE11</open-in> is set for a host, a blue Internet Explorer "e" icon is displayed in the left end of the address bar when a page on that host is open.

We customized our IE11 installation to have a Trusted Sites list applied for each user.  We did not update the configuration when MSU started using auth.msu.edu as part of secportal.ebsp.msu.edu login, and now the configuration tool does not work.  I have been advising users that it would be best for each user to manually add https://auth.msu.edu to the trusted sites list in IE11 (navigate to Tools\Internet Options\Security\Trusted Sites\Sites).  It avoids recurring security prompts.

Supposedly, you can add a registry value for a user for Trusted Sites if you want to automate it.  The Command Prompt command would be:
reg add "hkcu\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\msu.edu\auth" /v https /t reg_dword /f /d 2

I have not tried an automated method other than the Internet Explorer Administration kit, but I don't use Group Policy because it locks the site list and prevents the user from adding sites.

I submitted a helpdesk ticket a few weeks ago asking about docview and IE being removed in June, and Larry Wallace responded for ticket 1176199 that docview is scheduled to be replaced by the end of May.

-Oz

KBS Computer Services Helpdesk:
mailto:KBSCS Helpdesk <[log in to unmask]><mailto:[log in to unmask]>
269-671-2100

Stefan (Oz) Ozminski
Computer Services Manager
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station
Michigan State University
3700 E. Gull Lake Dr.
Hickory Corners, MI  49060
Phone: 269-671-4427
Cell: 269-744-0514
mailto:Stefan%20(Oz)[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>