*Apologies for cross-posting*

Association of Japanese Business Studies Newsletter E-mail No.2

Dear Colleagues,

Association of Japanese Business Studies (AJBS), founded in 1987, is an international association of professionals actively pursuing the exchange of information and ideas concerning the Japanese business system and its economic, social and cultural environment. AJBS holds annual conferences at venues throughout the world, providing an opportunity for discussion of current developments and research on a range of business, public policy, and teaching issues related to Japan.

Here, we have collated some up-to-date information for you to browse. We have included a collection of recent articles and conference information related to Japanese business studies. We hope you find something useful for your work!

The 34th Annual Conference of AJBS

We are extremely happy to welcome you to the 34th annual AJBS conference. Last year we held the annual conference using an online format due to the coronavirus pandemic. The pandemic is not over and international conference travel still poses numerous challenges. Hence, we have once again decided to hold the AJBS conference using an online format this year.

We are excited to include approximately 30 paper presentations in this year’s conference program, and a special panel on “Japanese Business in the Future.” We will also be having a “questions and answers” (Q&A) session to allow new/emerging scholars in Japanese business studies to ask questions to senior/experienced researchers and faculty in the area. Finally, we will have a panel of experienced faculty sharing insights on teaching “about and in” Japan.

Click here to register.   Click here for the conference program.

Articles for you to read

The impact of institutional distance and experiential knowledge on the internationalization speed of Japanese MNEs
Asian Business & Management

Narrowing the communication gap in internationally distributed teams: the case of software-development teams in Sri Lanka and Japan
Asian Business & Management

Survival of Japanese subsidiaries: impacts of sequential investment, institutional distances, and location factors
Asian Business & Management

What do we know about the internationalization of Asian business groups? A systematic review and future research agenda
Asian Business & Management

International and comparative human resource management: an Asia‐Pacific perspective
Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources

How does successive inpatriation contribute to subsidiary capability building and subsidiary evolution? An organizational knowledge creation perspective
Journal of International Business Studies

Managing cultural specificity and cultural embeddedness when internationalizing: Cultural strategies of Japanese craft firms
Journal of International Business Studies

Gender diversity management in foreign subsidiaries: A comparative study in Germany and Japan
Journal of International Management

Host country culture and language identification, and their workplace manifestations: A study on corporate expatriates in China and Japan
Journal of International Management

Entrenchment in status positions and the adoption of new norm-deviant organizational practices: Evidence from the Japanese banking industry, 1983–2005

Organization Studies

Making implicit CSR explicit? Considering the continuity of Japanese “micro moral unity”
Business Ethics, the Environment & Responsibility

Accounting Frauds and Main-Bank Monitoring in Japanese Corporations
Journal of Business Ethics

Factors affecting subsidiary staffing of Japanese multinationals: a panel data analysis
Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources

Human capital, cultural distance and staffing localization
Multinational Business Review

We hope you enjoyed browsing this content. If you have news you would like to see included in the next newsletter, please let us know.

Best wishes,
AJBS team

Contact us:
Association of Japanese Business Studies
1073 Parkside Ave
Forest Grove OR 97116  USA
Email: [log in to unmask]

--
Ting LIU, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Kyoto University Graduate School of Management