Good afternoon all,

I'm trying to build a rough cost estimate for an application programming project before I go thru the formal process of building an RFP.  I have a fair estimate of how many hours of coding, testing, and development this might take based on similar projects.  It's been quite some time since I had to hire outside programmers, so I honestly have no idea what the hourly rate would be to apply to my estimate of hours needed.  I'll need someone familiar with the LAMP stack, helping to design a web front end for a MySQL database system.  I already have the database data dictionary and rough table design created. I just need a more experienced LAMP programmer to help build some user-friendly pages for data validation and data entry.

So, if anyone has done any hiring in the last year or two, what's the going rate for a programmer experienced with PHP, Java/Javascript, and MySQL?  If there's someone I should be asking at Purchasing about vendors we currently work with and their hourly rates for programmers, please let me know who to talk to.

As mentioned above, I'm just trying to get a very rough estimate based on man-hours of what the project cost might be.  No sense building an RFP if I know for certain I don't have enough in my budget for it, so I'm trying to build that estimate first.  If I have space in my budget based on a rough estimate, then I'll dive into a full-blown RFP for this.

Any information, advice, or other thoughts you care to share would be appreciated.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

John Resotko
Assistant Director, Systems Administration and Support
Michigan State University College of Law
phone: 517-432-6836
fax: 517-432-6861
web: http://www.law.msu.edu/