Fair wages, great crew, free organic food, full time. Now accepting applications online at www.bluestemfarm.net/jobs.

Want to take your vegetable production skills to the next level? Come play a key role on our organic farm! Bluestem Farm is a year-round diversified organic farm located in East Jordan, Michigan. If you’re not familiar, picture us in about the fingernail area of the state mitten.

ABOUT THE WORK
•You’d be hand-harvesting vegetables in the morning hours
•Sowing, transplanting, and weeding organic vegetables
•Washing and packaging vegetables for sale
•Doing field-related tasks like moving irrigation and garden clean-up
•Working inside hoophosues

ABOUT BLUESTEM FARM
We have 12 acres in certified organic vegetable production, but the farm is 80 acres in all. The remaining acres are in permanent pasture and woods. We also have four hoophouses that produce both summer and winter vegetables. The core of our business is our farm subscription program, or CSA. Our members bring home what they want from our certified organic vegetables and pasture-raised eggs, pork, and chicken. We also have wholesale accounts, and sell at one of the best farmers markets in the state. Our small, experienced, dedicated team consists of about 10 people. We don't have year-round work for everyone who's part of our summer crew, but our farm is located just a few miles away from a premier Midwestern winter sports resort. Finding winter work to complement the growing season is usually no problem.

QUALIFICATIONS
A few different experiences + traits show up again and again in people who fit well here.
•Have you had a year of experience being happy and working hard on another farm doing similar things?
•Are you willing to be quick and hardworking and efficient with time?
•Do you feel proud of this type of work?
•Are you excited to absorb all the lessons this sort of life teaches?
•Are you up for communicating with coworkers about the little or big issues that come up, so they can be dealt with in ways that respect everyone?
•Do you work to maintain the type of attitude that looks at challenges positively?
•Do you love working outdoors in all types of weather?
•Do you enjoy the physical demands of working with your hands?

HOURS + COMPENSATION
•Pay is based on experience, but you can expect a range of $13-15 per hour. More if you have significant experience.
•Full time work is available through October or November 2022. We are open to part time hours and summer-only workers. We never demand that you work overtime.
•Organic vegetables to take home, pasture-raised protein is negotiable.
•We do not have housing to offer, but we try to help you find a place.

TO APPLY
Please send us your resume, responses to the below 4 questions, and 2 work references.
1.What are your interests, in general?
2.Why would you like to work at Bluestem Farm?
3.What experiences and skills from your past would you be bringing to this job?
4.When are you available? What would be your start and end dates?

Thanks for considering work at our farm!
Mary and Aaron Brower

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html