Please consider submitting to our Special Issue in Business & Society by 1 March 2023. Details are below. The full call is attached.

Business & Society

Special Issue Call for Papers

"Responsible Leadership Action for Business and Society: Addressing the Grand Societal Challenges of Our Time"

The goal of our SI is to align leadership studies with a business and society perspective considering the grand societal challenges of our time. It seeks to (1) revisit the study of leadership at the intersection of business and society, both conceptually and empirically, and (2) advance knowledge about how and under what conditions organizational leaders address grand societal challenges' impact on society, which then affects their responsibility as change agents, activists, stewards and through other roles. Possible directions may include and are not limited to:

  1. Micro-foundations and development of responsible leadership
  2. Responsible leadership for sustainable development
  3. Societal influences on responsible leadership
  4. Responsible leadership, stakeholder relations, and cross-sector partnerships
  5. Responsible leadership and political engagement
  6. Contexts, paradigms, and paradoxes around responsible leadership

For more details, please refer to the full call attached.

Guest Editors

Mary Sully de Luque, Thunderbird School of Global Management, Arizona State University, USA

Christof Miska, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business, Austria

Christian Voegtlin, Audencia Business School, France

Alexander Newman, Deakin University, Australia

Jill Brown, Bentley University, USA

SI Workshops

Pre-submission: October 2022 before the SI submission deadline, the guest editors will organize a virtual workshop designed to provide developmental guidance to prospective submissions. Participation in this workshop is not a precondition for submission to, nor does it guarantee acceptance in the SI. The workshop will be organized in the form of a virtual plenary followed by virtual paper development roundtables that bring together paper authors with senior scholars for in-depth feedback and advice. To be considered for the workshop, please send a proposal or extended abstract (up to 3,000 words) to Christof Miska ([log in to unmask]) by 1 September 2022. Further details will be forthcoming.

Post-submission: The guest editors will organize a SI revision workshop in 2023 (exact dates, times, and place TBA). Authors who receive a "revise and resubmit" (R&R) decision on their manuscript will be invited to attend this workshop. Participation in the workshop does not guarantee acceptance of the paper in the SI and attendance is not a prerequisite for publication.

Submission process

About the journal

Business & Society is one of the leading, peer-reviewed outlets for scholarly work dealing with the intersection of business and society. The journal publishes research that develops, tests, and refines theory, and it enhances our understanding of important societal issues and their relation to business. Business & Society's current two-year impact factor is 7.389, ranked 29 out of 153 journals in the business category. For further details on the journal, see https://journals.sagepub.com/home/bas

Christof Miska
Associate Professor
WU Vienna University of Economics and Business