Call for applications to post-doctoral researcher in international business
with focus on the impact of multinationals for inclusive development in Latin America
This call aims to fill 1 (one) position for a postdoctoral researcher in international business to be based in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The selected candidate will engage in the research project “Creating competitive advantage by serving marginalised communities: UK multinationals and inclusive development in Latin America”, led by researchers affiliated with FGV São Paulo School of Business Administration (Brazil), University of Birmingham, and University of Manchester (United Kingdom), with the cooperation of a researcher affiliated with Universidad EAFIT (Colombia).
Creating competitive advantage by serving marginalised communities:
UK Multinationals and Inclusive Development in Latin America
The objective of this study is to explore how multinationals in developed countries can contribute to the achievement of the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals, meeting the needs of vulnerable populations in emerging markets, while offering expectations of long-term economic returns for their shareholders. We intend to identify mechanisms and actions employed by these companies to serve vulnerable populations. To this end, we are basing ourselves on the theory of stakeholders, the theory of corporate social entrepreneurship and the literature on creating corporate value and structuring a qualitative study in countries in Latin America. We will focus specifically on the experience of UK multinationals in the region. We will collect data through focus groups and in-depth interviews with various actors (e.g., executives from multinationals, consumers and entrepreneurs from vulnerable communities, community leaders, NGOs, investment promotion agencies, local government representatives and local entrepreneurs).
For any additional information on the project, please see the short article below:
The above research project is sponsored and funded under a cooperation agreement between Sao Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP, https://fapesp.br/en) and the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC, https://www.ukri.org/councils/esrc/) – a committee of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
This fellowship will be granted by FAPESP for a period of 24 months and will follow the rules for granting postdoctoral fellowships linked to FAPESP Thematic Projects (http://www.fapesp.br/5389).
Host Institution: Fundação Getulio Vargas, São Paulo School of Business Administration (FGV/EAESP). Address: Av. 9 de Julho 2029, Bela Vista, São Paulo – SP, 01313-902, Brazil.
Supervisor: Associate Professor Jorge Carneiro
Start / End Date: July 2022 / June 2024 (note: the start date can be negotiated between the candidate and FGV EAESP, but should be close to July 2022)
Application Deadline: May 15, 2022
Fellowship: BRL R$ 8.479,20 (in Brazilian Reais; note: 1 USD is approximately BRL 4.8 as of end of March 2022) per month (http://www.fapesp.br/valores/bolsasnopais). The post-research fellow will need to inform a bank account in a bank in Brazil to receive the monthly grant.
Location: The post-doctoral fellow will need to be based in São Paulo for the period of the fellowship (24 months). If the selected candidate currently lives outside São Paulo, FAPESP will offer the equivalent of one-month grant (i.e., R$7.373,10 Brazilian Reais) to help cover relocation expenses. Besides, FAPESP will reimburse the post-doctoral fellow as regards coverage of ground transportation and/or air transportation expenses (in promotional or economy class), including spouse and children (https://fapesp.br/7771/auxilio-instalacao) to arrive in Sao Paulo and to come back to the original city/country.
If the candidate is foreign, it is her/his responsibility to verify and obtain the necessary documentation for entry and stay in Brazil, including visa(s), at the Brazilian Consulate closest to her/his residence (https://fapesp.br/bolsas /pd).
· Dr. Jorge Carneiro, FGV EAESP, Brazil. Chair of AIB-LAC (Academy of International Business, Latin American and the Caribbean chapter). Senior editor of International Business Review (IBR) and associate editor of Multinational Business Review (MBR).
· Dr. Pervez Ghauri, University of Birmingham, UK. Fellow of AIB and EIBA. Founding editor of International Business Review (IBR) and consulting editor for Journal of International Business Studies (JIBS).
· Dr. Axele Giroud, University of Manchester, UK. Senior editor of International Business Review (IBR). Ad hoc consultant to UNCTAD and the World Bank.
· (As collaborating investigator) Dr. Maria Alejandra Gonzalez-Perez, Universidad EAFIT, Colombia. Former VP Administration of AIB and former Chair of AIB-LAC. Area editor of the Cross-Cultural and Strategic Management journal and associate editor of Transnational Corporations.
Host institution: FGV (Fundação Getulio Vargas) and FGV EAESP (FGV Sao Paulo School of Business Administration)
Founded in 1944, FGV has extensive experience in academic and applied research in social sciences and has a long well-succeeded history in coordinating international projects. Being one of the most influential institutions in Latin America and beyond, it is ranked as the 3rd best think tank by the Global Go To Think Tank Ranking. FGV EAESP (https://eaesp.fgv.br/en) is triple-accredited (AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA\), is ranked among the top management schools in Latin America, features the highest scores awarded by the Brazilian Ministry of Education, and is a member of very selective academic networks (e.g., CEMS and GNAM, among others).
Responsibilities of the position
The post-doctoral researcher to be accepted will work in close interaction with the lead researchers of the project, under the supervision of Associate Professor Jorge Carneiro, FGV São Paulo School of Business Administration (FGV EAESP).
The activities to be carried out by the post-doctoral researcher include: support in reviewing the relevant literature; stakeholder mapping; revision of the conceptual model; elaboration and pre-test of interview scripts and focus groups protocols; training of young scholars for data collection; participation in empirical research, including data collection (in person or online, as arranged with the supervisor) and analysis using qualitative methods; preparation of dissemination materials for stakeholders; and collaboration in writing scientific articles as well as other dissemination mateirals. The researcher will also contribute to the organization of activities to engage communities, social entrepreneurs, and other social actors; as well as the organization of scientific events/workshops.
This is a unique opportunity to engage in cutting-edge research of significant social impact, led by renowned scientific scholars, which could generate future job opportunities in organizations around the world.
Qualifications of the candidate
The candidate must necessarily have the following qualifications:
· Interest in the research theme;
· Be Brazilian or foreigner with a permanent visa in Brazil;
· PhD degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or related areas;
· Less than seven years since the award of the PhD degree as of the start of the fellowship implementation date;
· Experience with qualitative research methods in the social sciences;
· Experience in using qualitative data analysis software packages (e.g., NVivo or Atlas.ti)
· Potential for conducting world-class research and to publish in high-quality international scientific journals;
· Proficiency in English – written and spoken
· Ease of communication with actors and stakeholders from various segments of the society;
· Ability to work in a team and autonomously;
· Be organized, responsible, have initiative and autonomy to communicate with people and carry out project activities;
· Flexibility to travel for periods of up to 10 days outside Sao Paulo.
The following qualifications are considered desirable, but not mandatory:
· Good command of the Portuguese or Spanish languages
· Previous participation in research projects with international teams;
· Experience with education or community engagement activities;
· Familiarity with social networks.
Application Deadline: May 15, 2022
Applications must be made by sending the following documents by email to [log in to unmask] in a message with the subject “MNEDEVELOP - Postdoc FAPESP/UKRI” no later than May 15, 2022:
1. Summary CV (2-page maximum), including names and contact details of three references who can be asked to send a letter of recommendation, if needed; if Brazilian, the CV must contain a link to the updated CV Lattes in Portuguese;
2. Letter of motivation (1-page maximum);
3. Two journal or conference papers in English (co-)authored by the candidate.
The analysis and evaluation of the candidacies will be done in two eliminatory stages, namely:
· 1st stage – document analysis. At this stage, a pre-selection of candidates will be conducted, based on the analysis of the curriculum and the motivation letter, considering the candidate’s merit, academic history, and suitability for the project in question;
· 2nd stage – personal interview. The pre-selected candidates in the 1st stage will be interviewed (online) by the selection committee, composed of the four main members of the research team. The interviews will be scheduled for the second half of May (or earlier in case of candidates that submit before the deadline). Results will be communicated no later than mid-June.
Candidates will be ranked according to the arithmetic average of their scores (which will be awarded by the selection committee) on the following criteria:
· Publication record and pipeline
· Familiarity with international business and with the research theme
· Familiarity with qualitative research methods
· Academic standing of the school from which the candidate obtained her/his PhD degree
Note: FGV EAESP reserves the right, for justified reasons, to leave the position open or to extend the application deadline.
About São Paulo – a city that always surprises you
São Paulo is a metropolis of many facets. The city is the most important economic centre of Brazil, and the capital of culture in Latin America, with an unparalleled offer of business, education, leisure, and entertainment opportunities. Besides, amid its buildings, the city presents vast green areas. An avant-garde and innovative city that preserves its architecture, arts, and gastronomy, which reflect historical and current contributions of more than 70 nationalities. While preserving traditions, São Paulo keeps itself modern. “Tuned in” is the right expression to describe it. To get to know São Paulo better, all it takes is an open mind and the willingness to dive headfirst in this city that never sleeps.
[log in to unmask]">
[log in to unmask]" alt="/Users/jorge.carneiro/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Caches/Signatures/signature_279499583">
Jorge Carneiro, PhD
Associate Professor of Strategy and International Business
OneMBA - Global Executive MBA, www.onemba.org
Tel. (+55 11) 3799-3637