The University of Michigan Biological Station (UMBS) invites applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow with a focus on undergraduate student assessment and program evaluation in a field-based environment. We seek a highly motivated and creative researcher who is motivated to transform educational experiences for college students from a diversity of backgrounds and who is excited to continue evaluating our programing. Overall, our goal is to build on our existing dataset and knowledge to inform the design of educational experiences at our and other field stations.
UMBS has long-term data on participant demographics, academic and affective outcomes, and camp climate. These are from all UMBS academic programs including long- and short-format courses in STEM and non-STEM disciplines, as well as fully research-based experiences (REU: research experience for undergraduates).
We already have documented a significant relationship between students’ participation in a field-based experience and their sense of belonging in science and their decision to stay in a STEM field over time. We will support the person selected for this position in developing new and continued directions of study in the areas of student learning, field work, DEIJ, community and belonging. The implications of this work are important for UMBS, the University of Michigan, and field stations and Universities across the US.
The successful candidate will work closely with UMBS’s Director Aimée Classen, Associate Director, and Academic Program Manager. The post-doc could also have a joint dry appointment in the Ecology & Evolutionary Biology department at the University of Michigan and could work in collaboration with the outstanding University of Michigan Center for Research on Teaching and Learning (https://crlt.umich.edu/). This is a term-limited appointment and annual renewal is based on performance and funding through December 31, 2023.
Starting Date: As soon as possible; ideally prior to the start of our term in May.
Job Requirements:
• A Ph.D. completed or that will be completed by your start date
• Experience in postsecondary assessment, evaluation and/or educational research
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work effectively in settings of social and intellectual diversity
• Experience with quantitative and qualitative analysis and working knowledge of statistical,
analytic and reporting software
• Ability to work across disciplinary boundaries and in a collaborative environment.
• University or college teaching experience preferred
• Ability to accommodate occasional work outside of standard business hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.).
• Willingness and ability to travel between Ann Arbor and the UMBS campus in Pellston, Michigan
and spend part or all of your summer at UMBS.

 Note: This position is based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, but will require extended stays at the Biological Station campus near Pellston, Michigan.
To apply: Please submit a single document containing: (1) cover letter including the names and contact information for three references, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) a representative paper. For questions, contact UMBS Associate Director Karie Slavik ([log in to unmask]).
The Institution: Situated in the heart of the Great Lakes Basin, the University of Michigan Biological Station (UMBS) has been at the leading edge of field-based research and teaching for more than 100 years. Our residential research campus is situated on the southeast shore of Douglas Lake, near Pellston,
 Michigan; our administrative offices are located on the University of Michigan’s central campus in Ann Arbor, Michigan. At the height of the summer research season, we have approximately 250 people in camp. They range from undergraduates through senior faculty. Our persistent emphasis has been on understanding natural systems from local through global scales. For more information about UMBS visit lsa.umich.edu/umbs.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.