Sounds like a great opportunity for people on this email list!

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Reu-geo] Post-Doctoral Scholar in Geosciences / Geography / Earth Science Education / Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:17:39 +0000
From: Feineman, Maureen via reu-geo <[log in to unmask]>
To: GEO REU list <[log in to unmask]>

I realize most of us on this list are primarily involved in undergraduate educational equity, but perhaps you know a recent or soon-to-be PhD who is also interested in undergraduate educational equity. If you do, please feel free to share this opportunity. We have a couple of good applications, but would really like a broader pool. I appreciate that we make an effort not to flood this list with announcements, so I apologize if this is not of interest! It is a unique opportunity that was created to simultaneously increase inclusivity in undergraduate field education and train a future leader in earth science education, which are things I believe most of us here are strongly invested in. Thanks!

Post-Doctoral Scholar in Geosciences / Geography / Earth Science Education / Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

The College of Earth and Mineral Sciences at Penn State is seeking an interdisciplinary postdoctoral scholar to research and develop a contextual co-curriculum to support diversity and inclusion in geosciences field camp. There are many factors that contribute to the persistent lack of diversity in the geosciences; the goal of this project is to address those particular issues related to field camp and field culture. Rather than abandon field camp as an integral part of geosciences undergraduate education, our shared goal is to facilitate its evolution to meet the needs of the future by revisiting the past.

The purpose of this postdoctoral research project is to look critically at the policies, practices, and ideals of historical geologists and geographers during the Westward Expansion, particularly along the route of the Penn State Geosciences Field Camp, and the propagation of these values into contemporary geosciences culture. The traditional knowledge of Native Americans who were deeply connected to these landscapes long before the arrival of Europeans in North America will also be highlighted. Deliverables will include an introductory video to place the cross-country journey of 21st century field camp in the context of 19th century geological exploration and exploitation, an educational module on “Field Camp and the Western Expansion” (in the style of a GeoContext module) to be shared broadly, and one or more half-day field exercises (e.g. Dead Indian Pass / Chief Joseph Scenic Byway in Wyoming; Hayden Valley and Mount Doane in Yellowstone) to bring context and reflection to the geosciences field camp experience. The postdoc will join the Penn State field camp in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, and Utah during the summer of their appointment.

This position will be funded for one year from the date of hire and provides an annual salary of $60,000. The appointment may be extended for 6 additional months pending satisfactory performance. Information about the benefits associated with this appointment are located at https://www.research.psu.edu/opa/benefits

A PhD in geosciences, geography, or related field is required by the start date of employment.

For full consideration, candidates must apply online and include the following materials with their application: 1) a cover letter describing the applicant’s academic and/or lived experience relevant to this project, 2) a one-page statement of diversity, equity, and inclusion philosophy and contributions, 3) a CV, and 4) names and contact information for 3 references. The application is available online at: https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PSU_Academic/job/University-Park-Campus/Post-Doctoral-Scholar-in-Geosciences---Geography---Earth-Science-Education---Diversity--Equity--and-Inclusion_REQ_0000022655-1.

For more information, contact a member of the mentoring team: Maureen Feineman ([log in to unmask]), Associate Research Professor and Associate Head for Undergraduate Programs in Geosciences; Donald Fisher ([log in to unmask]), Professor of Geosciences and Field Camp Director; Melissa W. Wright ([log in to unmask]), Professor of Geography and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.

The Pennsylvania State University’s College of Earth and Mineral Sciences takes an active role in building a talented, inclusive, and culturally competent workforce. We understand that our shared future is guided by basic principles of fairness, mutual respect, and commitment to each other. Applicants should provide evidence, either woven through their application materials or as a separate diversity statement, of a commitment to fostering diversity, equity, inclusive excellence, and belonging and of engagement which creates an inclusive environment in their department/classroom.

Dr. Maureen Feineman | Associate Professor | Associate Head for Undergraduate Programs
Department of Geosciences | The Pennsylvania State University
538 Deike Building | University Park, PA 16802
[log in to unmask] | +1-814-863-7400
Pronouns: she/her/hers
[log in to unmask]" class="">