Thank you for helping us spread the word!
Allen Farmers Market and Breadbasket Food Pantry Manager
Allen Neighborhood Center (ANC) is seeking an energetic, creative leader to manage two year-round food programs, Allen Farmers Market on Wednesdays and Breadbasket Food Pantry on Mondays; and contribute as an active member of the ANC leadership team to set strategy and culture for the organization.
Key Responsibilities - Market
Management of Allen Farmers Market will involve oversight of all operations of our year-round, weekly Market. The Market Manager maintains relationships with vendors, customers, guests, and sponsors. General responsibilities include managing market operations, supervising volunteers, promotion and advertising, fundraising through sponsorship campaigns and collaborative grants, and keeping accurate records of sales and attendance.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Vendor selection and support, including assisting vendors with merchandising, pricing, marketing, and business skills.
· Marketing and promotion; managing social media accounts and writing weekly e-bulletin; representing the Market to the community.
· Managing logistics and safety at the Market; maintaining in good condition supplies and equipment (tents, tables, chairs, etc.).
· Maintaining detailed financial, attendance, and product records, and keeping current all permits, licensing, and contractual agreements.
· Overseeing volunteer recruitment and training; creating a mutually beneficial experience for volunteers to learn, grow, and feel appreciated for their service.
· Training volunteers to operate the Market Bank, which facilitates transactions through credit/debit and EBT plus Double Up Food Bucks.
· Developing positive customer and vendor relations; conducting periodic surveys to measure satisfaction and seek feedback.
Key Responsibilities - Pantry
Management of the Breadbasket Food Pantry will involve oversight of all operations of our year-round, weekly pantry, including coordination of food donation pick-ups, maintenance of accurate records for donations and attendance, supervision of volunteers, and cultivation of an experience of dignity for vulnerable neighbors participating.
Specific responsibilities include:
Required Background, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· A professional and resourceful leadership style with the ability to work independently and with a team.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to develop, implement, nurture, and evaluate multiple programs.
· Strong organizational skills with good attention to detail.
· Experience in creating and managing relationships with multiple partners, which in this position includes vendors, neighbors, volunteers/interns, and donors/sponsors.
· High level of initiative and personal confidence.
· Experience in special events coordination and planning.
· Commitment to Lansing’s Eastside, its residents, stakeholders and strategic partners throughout the mid-Michigan region.
Strong candidates will have education or training related to the position and passion for food and community. Please submit your resume and cover letter to [log in to unmask], or drop it off at the Center, located at 1611 E. Kalamazoo St. in Lansing, no later than Friday, January 28, 2022. Call Joan Nelson at 517-999-3912 for further information.
About Allen Neighborhood Center
Allen Neighborhood Center (ANC) is a dynamic, nonprofit community development organization serving the northeast quadrant of Lansing MI, called the Eastside. ANC takes a comprehensive, integrative approach to community development, working on food access, health education, housing, commercial corridor revitalization, and social capital building. As a place-based organization with deep roots in the neighborhood, we work collaboratively with a broad array of regional partners and organizations that share our comprehensive agenda.
About the Allen Farmers Market
The Market, founded in 2004, is a project of ANC. Operating on Wednesday afternoons, our outdoor season (mid-May through October) is held in the parking lot adjacent to the Center, and draws about 20 vendors and 600-800 patrons weekly. The indoor market (November through mid-May) is held inside Allen Market Place, a multifunctional food resource center and food hub. The indoor season is smaller in scale, drawing about 12 vendors and 200 customers weekly. The Market is a lively community gathering, featuring locally grown foods, ready-to-eat options, special guests and activities, live entertainment, and more.
About Breadbasket Food Pantry
Founded in 2000, Breadbasket provides produce and baked goods to food insecure Eastside neighbors each Monday. ANC is a member of the Greater Lansing Food Bank. In addition to food, Breadbasket offers access to other critical resources.