Paid Merlin Translocation and Tracking Interns Needed (2) – Early April through June or July. We are looking for an experienced field intern to assist with the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center’s new project investigating translocation of Merlins to protect endangered Piping Plover populations in Michigan. Research will involve the capture, tagging, and translocation of Merlins. We will also capture and tag Merlins outside of Plover areas to better understand their foraging ecology and home range. Finally, we will conduct Merlin surveys before and after translocation.

To be successful the intern will need to be flexible, independently motivated, show strong initiative, and be willing and physically able to spend long days in the field 6 days per week for the duration of the season. We are particularly interested in people with previous experience capturing, handling, and tagging raptors. However, experience conducting surveys for raptor, and finding raptor nests would also be useful. In your cover letters, please clearly highlight your experience and interest in these areas. This position will require driving a government owned vehicle so applicants will need a valid driver’s license. Interns will receive a stipend of at least $525 per week ($2300 per month). Shared housing, field vehicles, and ground transportation from the nearest major airport (if necessary) will be provided at no cost. Camping may be required to visit some sites. Field sites are located across the beautiful coasts of Michigan.

To apply, please send a 1-page cover letter and a Resume/CV with contact information for 3 references as a single.pdf file. Name this file “Your_Last_Name_Merlin_Intern.pdf” and send to Dr. Nathan W. Cooper (EM: [log in to unmask] AND [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>). Please put “Your_Last_Name Merlin Intern” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.

Please note that the Smithsonian Institution has a mandate requiring all employees and interns to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of location or arrangement (e.g., onsite, virtual, remote, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination during onboarding. Additional information and instructions regarding Smithsonian’s COVID-19 mandate will be provided at the time of selection.

From: Nathan Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, December 3, 2021 at 9:53 AM
To: Schneider, Jim <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Raptor people at MSU?
Jim,

Hope all is well with you!

I've got a new project in Michigan starting this summer that will be
assessing translocation as a method of control of Merlin populations to
help protect endangered Piping Plovers in the region. We're funded for
the next couple of years.

If you know anyone that has raptor capture and tagging experience and
might be interested in a seasonal tech position, would you mind sharing
this advert (see attached)?

I reached out to Catherine Lindell as I know she has been doing some
Kestrel work lately.

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan W. Cooper
Research Ecologist
Migratory Bird Center
Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute