Dear AIBers,

I am pleased to announce the publication of my co-authored book (with Professor Uramoto of Japan's Sofia University) on value creation and distribution in the apparel global supply chain:

Nachum and Uramoto, The Contest for Value in the Global Apparel Supply Chain, Edward Elgar, New Horizons in International Business series, October 2021

https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/gbp/the-contest-for-value-in-global-value-chains-9781800882140.html

Who captures the value created in Global Value Chains? How should distortions in value capture be amended and by whom? We suggest that inquiry into these questions requires evaluation of value capture in relation to value creation. Application of this approach to the study of contests for value among global brands, manufacturers, labor, and consumers in the apparel GVC reveals vast distortions. Some of these distortions are inconsistent with those often claimed to exist in GVCs. We suggest that interdependencies germane to GVCs give participants power to create markets for social justice in which adequate value distribution is economically rewarded. These dynamics turn GVCs into their own ‘regulators’ that self-correct for distributional distortions.

The book received enthusiastic endorsements from a number of distinguished scholars and policymakers for its contribution to contemporary debates about business impact on human rights and social inequality, as well as on governance challenges in a global world.  file:///Users/lilacnachum/Downloads/17726.pdf

​

Lilac Nachum
Professor, International Business
Baruch College, City University New York
www.LinkedIn.com/in/lilacnachum