Strategy PhD student recruitment 2022

The Department of Management in Strome College of Business at Old Dominion University is seeking exceptional candidates for our PhD Program in Business Strategy. The application deadline for next fall's entering class is March 1st, 2022.

We anticipate enrolling two or three students in Business Strategy. Our four-year, full-time doctoral program is AACSB-accredited and prepares students to pursue careers as faculty members at academic research institutions worldwide. Our program provides a balanced range of core courses and PhD seminars that will prepare students to conduct high-quality research in strategy, entrepreneurship, and innovation.

The Strategy PhD program comprises a unique International Business Core shared by four departments in the College. The doctoral program emphasizes early research experience through involvement in faculty projects with students acting as co-investigators and co-authors. The program also provides an opportunity for PhD students to gain valuable teaching experience in our undergraduate programs. The culture of our department is one of "high standards and high support." Doctoral students are not only pushed to develop their intellectual capacity but are also treated with respect and supported vigorously.

Our faculty in Strategy and Entrepreneurship group includes Drs. Anil Nair (department chair), Li-Wei Chen, Martin Goossen, Kris Irwin, Elko Klijn, Shaomin Li, Jay O'Toole, Robert Pidduck, and Jing Zhang. Our young and collegial faculty group has a broad range of research interests spanning strategy, entrepreneurship, innovation, and international business, and employs various theoretical and methodological approaches. Our faculty members are committed to high-impact and rigorous research. They hold editorial review board seats at prestigious journals, and their work has been published in the top academic journals, such as Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, Research Policy, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice and Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal. The faculty profiles are available here: https://www.odu.edu/business/departments/management/directory

Accepted doctoral students are hired as Graduate Assistants for 20 hours a week and receive tuition support and competitive stipends for four years. Fifth year funding is contingent upon maintaining satisfactory academic progress and funding availability. The Strome College of Business provides additional funding for conference travel nationally.

All our PhD strategy graduates were placed in AACSB-accredited intuitions, such as Florida International University and University of Wyoming, and offered competitive compensation packages.

Old Dominion University's waterfront campus is in the heart of vibrant Coastal Virginia - a prime place to learn, work and play. Norfolk, a metropolitan city, is home to the world's largest naval base and the North American Headquarters for NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization). From great shopping and dining to beautiful beaches, there's always something new to discover. It is close to historical Colonial Williamsburg and to NASA Langley, the birthplace of the U.S. space program.

To apply for the Ph.D. Program in Strategy in Strome College of Business, please visit our web site at https://www.odu.edu/business/academics/graduate/scb-phd/program/mgmt-phd

Jing Zhang, Ph.D.
Jing Zhang, Ph.D.
Associate Professor| Department of Management
College Doctoral Program Director
Strome College of Business
Old Dominion University
2064 Constant Hall