FORWARD from Sarah Fortner:

You may remember that a while back AGU advertised an opportunity to work on a set of papers focused on the ICON model for open knowledge generating networks. The idea was to use an ICON process to generate commentaries about the opportunity that ICON offers for the different parts of the Earth and space sciences.  ICON stands for Integrated Coordinated Open Networked.  The vision for ICON  involves bringing folks together across disciplines, research, and practice, to focus on a problem much like the work of the GER community. Cathy Manduca,  Hendratta Ali, Casey Saup and I have put together a three part strategy for how we might use the 3000 words allotted for education (a 3 topic piece is what is recommended by the ICON organizing group):

·      Topic A:  the value of ICON approaches in improving the  practice of geoscience education.  This piece we think could illuminate the ICON like work that geoscience education is known for as well as suggest critical new areas where the approach would be valuable or modifications that would make it better

·      Topic B:  the value of ICON approaches in Geoscience Education research.  This piece could speak to the use of ICON in creating a thriving international GER community that crosses educational venues (formal/informal; primary/secondary/tertiary/graduate)

·      Topic C:  the value of ICON approaches in addressing equity and justice in geoscience education.  We believe that JEDI should be infused throughout the pieces but that it should also have a stand alone section.

Now, we need to recruit a bigger group of geoscience educators to participate in the process of generating the key points for each section.  We will host a virtual meeting on Sept 21st at 11 Central time to initiate the work of this bigger group and then move forward asynchronously to a next meeting point. Through this process we anticipate that in addition to the content for the topics the writing teams will emerge.  The goal is to have a complete draft by the end of October.   I attach the outline that we generated.  It illustrates the kind of points we thought might be made.  However, the points could and likely will change radically during the discussion and subsequent work.  At the moment, it is intended to demonstrate examples & prompt discussion.

So I am writing for your help in recruiting participants. Below is a short recruiting message that you may use or alter if you have interest.

Cathy, Hendratta, Casey & I think this is a tremendous opportunity for the education section because the resulting paper will be published alongside the work of the other sections.  It will improve visibility for geoscience education and geoscience education research and the potential of the field. We also see this as an opportunity to articulate an international vision for JEDI geoscience education practice and research as well as to get stronger collegial relationships in the field around the world.

Hoping this all sounds as interesting to you. Let  me know how you would like to proceed.  Also, I know time is short... it might be that deadlines could slide a little if needed. Participation is encouraged from all parts of the education ecosystem & all career stages, but we especially wanted to reach out to the GER community.

Sincerely,

Sarah

--

Sarah Fortner, Ph.D. (she/her/hers)

Science Education Resource Center (SERC)

Carleton College, Northfield, MN

https://serc.carleton.edu/serc/sarah.html

Julie Libarkin (she / her)
Associate Dean for STEM Education Research and Innovation

Professor & Director - Geocognition Research Lab
Michigan State University
288 Farm Lane, 206 Natural Science
East Lansing, MI 48824

Phone: 517-355-8369
Email: [log in to unmask]

Website: https://geocognitionresearchlaboratory.wordpress.com/

Michigan State University occupies the ancestral, traditional, and contemporary Lands of the Anishinaabeg–Three Fires Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa, and Potawatomi peoples. The University resides on Land ceded in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw.

- http://aisp.msu.edu/about/land/