Greetings:

In the interest of sharing a resource that may be useful for those of you doing research at the intersection of international business and nonmarket strategy (NMS) [e.g. corporate political activity (CPA), strategic corporate social responsibility (SCSR)], we are pleased to share our recently published review paper, Navigating Cross-Border Institutional Complexity: A Review and Assessment of Multinational Nonmarket Strategy Research. In the paper, we document the multinational NMS research according to contributions' theme, method, context, theory, and level of analysis. We then develop an institutional multiplicity framework to organize our analysis of this large and fragmented body of literature. In so doing, we identify the most impactful contributions within three major themes - multinational CPA, multinational SCSR, and the integration of CPA and SCSR - and their respective subthemes, and call attention to limitations in the extant research. We also highlight promising avenues for future research, including expanding the scope of NMS to incorporate microfoundations research, integrating macrolevel scholarship on global institutions, placing greater attention on the interaction between CPA and SCSR, and incorporating multi-actor global issues and movements. Our review underscores the growing importance and missed opportunities of NMS research in the international business fieldThe article is available on an open access basis.  Note that there is an additional electronic file of supplementary information that contains numerous tables presenting additional information beyond those appearing in the article proper.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1057/s41267-021-00438-x

Pei Sun            Jonathan Doh              Tazeeb Rajwani            Don Siegel

[log in to unmask]&xsl=bio_long">Jonathan P. Doh, Ph.D.

Associate Dean of Research and Global Engagement

Co-Faculty Director, Elenore and Robert F. Moran Sr. Center for Global Leadership

Rammrath Chair in International Business

Professor of Management and Operations

Villanova School of Business

Villanova University, Villanova, PA 19085

610-519-7798 (w) 484-434-7161 (c) [log in to unmask]