From: Parks Tate Marion <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2021 2:34 AM
To: Lake, Jamie <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Job opportunity

Hello Ms. Lake,

I am a graduate student in the Bios department at Western Michigan University, but I have previously worked with the Fisheries and Wildlife department at MSU (on Dr. Owen's bird banding project).

I have a position available on a grant for a field assistant this summer and several of my field sites are in the Lansing area and so in addition to advertising this position at WMU I wanted to share this opportunity with the students at MSU.

This would be a great opportunity for an undergrad to gain some field experience while getting paid. Would you be able to send this announcement to undergraduate students in the F&W department? The job description is below.

Please let me know if you have any questions?

Field assistant:

~20 hrs/wk (mostly afternoons, but some mornings possible)

Pay rate: 15$/hr

Start date 5/17/2021

Lansing MI or Kalamazoo MI

The Gill soundecology lab at Western Michigan University is seeking an enthusiastic field assistant for the spring and summer field season. This position is seasonal and will assist with a project investigating the effects of predators and threats to reproduction on avian community signaling. This position is open to candidates with no prior field experience, but you must have a willingness to learn!

The responsibilities for this position will include: finding field sites using GPS equipment, setting up recording equipment, recording basic data on site habitat characteristics, and assisting as needed with other field tasks. All work will take place under the supervision and in conjunction with the primary researcher however some independent work could be required depending on the capacity of the field assistant.

-Required Qualifications:

Ability to work outdoors on uneven terrain

Ability to carry ~20-50lbs of equipment for 1-2 miles

Ability to work independently

Ability to take instruction

Detailed oriented.

-Prefered Qualifications:

Currently enrolled in Bachelor's program in Biology, Fisheries and Wildlife or related field Experience with avian behavioral observations

Experience identifying michigan birds

Experience conducting habitat and vegetation surveys

Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Parks Marion
Masters Student in Biological Sciences
Gill Lab
Western Michigan University