Employment Opportunity – Summer Lab Technician

Position Title: Lab Technician

Job Summary: We are seeking two (2) lab technicians to assist with the collection and analysis of predator diets from Lakes Huron and Michigan (Lake Trout, Chinook Salmon, Rainbow Trout, Walleye, etc.) for summer 2021. The majority of time will be spent in the lab identifying fish stomach contents for diet analysis. The position will also include weekly/biweekly travel to various fishing tournaments to collect fish stomachs from anglers.

Duties will include:

  *   Processing fish stomachs
  *   Identifying stomach contents (prey fish, insects, zooplankton)
  *   Filling out data sheets
  *   Visiting cleaning stations along the shores of Lakes Huron and Michigan to collect stomachs
  *   Communicating with anglers

Qualifications:

  *   Working towards a bachelor’s degree in fisheries, natural resources, or a related field
  *   Background in fish and insect identification (preferred but not required)
  *   Excellent verbal communication skills
  *   Highly motivated and organized
  *   Ability to take single-day field trips
  *   Ability to work weekends

Compensation and Time Commitment: The technician will work 40 hrs/week for 16 weeks from early-May through mid-August. Start and end date are negotiable. Pay is $11.25/hr (commensurate with experience).

If you are interested, please email me at [log in to unmask] with your resume and contact information of 2 references. Position open until filled.

Thank you,

Jake Sawecki

PhD student

Department of Fisheries and Wildlife