New UNCTAD research on FDI and gender

Dear Members of the World Investment Network,

I am pleased to share with you a new study on Multinational Enterprises and the International Transmission of Gender Policies and Practices.

The study will be presented and discussed at an online launch seminar at 3pm CET today (register here). I will be joined by Isabelle Durant, UNCTAD Acting Secretary-General; Jennifer Poole, School of International Service, American University;  Amelia U. Santos-Paulino, UNCTAD’s lead researcher on the study; Simeon Djankov, London School of Economics and Senior Fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics; Hiau Looi Kee, Lead Economist, Development Research Group, World Bank; Carol Newman, Professor at the Department of Economics, Trinity College Dublin; Vanina Farber, Director for the center of social innovation at IMD, Lausanne; and, Victor van Vuuren, Director, Enterprise Department, International Labour Organization.

Issues covered in the study that will be discussed by the panelists include:

  • Do the benefits associated with Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) also translate into more gender-equal labour market outcomes in host countries?
  • What are the mechanisms through which MNEs influence gender policies and practices in the workplace in host countries?
  • What policy interventions – in host and home countries – can help to maximize the potential benefits of FDI and MNE activities for women?

I look forward to welcoming you this afternoon.

Best regards,
James X. Zhan
Director, Investment and Enterprise
United Nations Conference on Trade & Development
Palais des Nations, Geneva
http://www.unctad.org/wir
http://www.worldinvestmentforum.org
http://investmentpolicyhub.unctad.org