The Chair for the Study of Economic Institutions, Innovation and East Asian Development, Faculty of Economics and Business at Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, invites applications for two positions of
Research Assistants (Ph.D. Candidates)
(Pay Grade E13 TV-G-U, 50%)

The positions are to be filled as soon as possible (from 1st September 2021 at the latest) for three years (with an option to extend for further two years).  The salary grade is based on the job characteristics of the collective agreement (TV-G-U) applicable to Goethe University.

We are an international team and work together in an open and cooperative manner. Our research lies at the interface of innovation, entrepreneurship and institutional theory. In addition to classical approaches of innovation studies, we mainly study how new methods such as neural networks, natural language processing or web scraping can be integrated into innovation research, how entrepreneurs position themselves in different institutional contexts, and how institutional structures influence innovation behavior.

Responsibilities for both positions include collaboration in ongoing research projects of the Chair and contribution to the preparation of lectures, seminars and supervision of term papers, Bachelor and Master Theses. The positions provide a great opportunity to conduct independent research and in particular for the preparation of a doctoral dissertation.

The candidates are expected to show an interest in institutional theory and innovation economics. Requirements are an above-average Master degree (or Diplom/Magister degree) from an international or national university either in Economics and Business, or in a regional science with a focus on Economics. We further expect a good knowledge of quantitative methods, a good command of statistical software packages such as Stata, R, or Python, and an interest in learning new research methods such as neural networks, natural language processing or web scraping. Candidates should enjoy working in teams and be fluent in English language (both written and spoken). A good knowledge of the German language is a plus but not essential. We further expect curiosity, self-reliance and initiative taking, as well as integrity and innovative thinking. An interest in Japan or East Asia is desirable but not essential. For one of the positions, a knowledge of a language of East Asia is an asset but not crucial.

Please submit your application (including a letter of motivation, CV, publications list, grade transcripts, a copy of Master thesis, and two Letters of Recommendation) to Prof. Dr. Cornelia Storz via email ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) until 31st March 2021.

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]
AIB-L is a moderated list.